By Anonymous - 22/03/2014 04:49 - United States - Houston

Today, I met my future mother-in-law. All went well; she complimented my dress, and I complimented her haircut. Then she and her son had a screaming match over how our children will be fat because of their mother. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 851
You deserved it 3 947

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Hopefully they won't be rude and evil because of their grandmother.

You can lose weight, she'll always be a **** waffle.

Comments

Hopefully they won't be rude and evil because of their grandmother.

What the hell? Not only do I feel like I need more information on how we got to that point, but also someone needs to re-take biology. FYL :/

Re-take biology? Why, because obesity has zero links to genetics? There are plenty of sites on the human genome than can be linked to the development of obesity depending on the environment. I understand that the child will not necessarily be fat because of the mother or because of anything in particular for that matter, but you're saying it as though the notion of predispositions and hereditary factors are something ridiculous.

buttcramp 21

I don't feel like we need more information. No one should be rude or judge a person especially during their first meeting.

sweetprettykitty 10

I think #2 is meaning retake biology because the OP said 'their' mother, where, if it was their mother then they would be siblings. #2 should have said 'her' mother or 'his grandmother'.

alexj177 7

#45 I think OP meant they were saying she was fat, not the mother in law

sweetprettykitty 10

I hope OP comments and clears up who exactly 'their mother' is then because 'their mother' to me is talking about her mother in laws mother, not OP.

The statement of their mother is referring to the OP because it was said by the soon to be mother in law in context to the still hypothetical grandchildren.

The OP says that her future MIL's son (ie OP's fiance) got into a shouting match with his mother over how our children will be fat because of their mother. To me this is clearly referring to the OP and her fiance's future children, which means that "their mother" refers to OP.

sweetprettykitty 10

Ok sorry, my bad...just sounded off to me how it was written. Maybe too early for me still. Back to bed I go.

#45 you make no sense. OP I'm sorry that your future mil is an ignorant btch, beauty comes in all shapes and sizes... some of the most beautiful women I know both inside and out are fairly large. she maybe thin and cute on the outside, but she it's obviously ugly and rotten on the inside which makes her hideous.

Her mother-in-law said her kids would be fat... She isn't going to murder her...

Running could help either way! Lose some weight (probably lower on self-confidence after said argument), and you'll get away from crazy bitchface.

Are you sure your future husbands character is different? You can still back out of The deal at this point!

If she's marrying him, I would imagine that she's pretty familiar with his character.

It did sound like he was defending op. In laws for some reason feel like that have to be bitches.

Well then -_-; I guess she went full retard, and you NEVER go full retard

Fortunately, you're not marrying his mother :) Hope you're okay OP

When you marry someone, you get the family too. This sounds like the start of a recipe for resentful disaster down the line if it doesn't get worked out.

slytherbitch 15

Not necessarily. It's perfectly acceptable to cut out toxic people from your life. And I think this behavior at least warrants a good, long time out.

I agree with #33, you can always cut out toxic people in your life and do your best to avoid them. Btw, that burger in your profile pic looks ******* delicious.

Now, I'm no scientist. However, I will go out on a limb here and say that genetics kinda sorta probably doesn't really work that way.

iJUSTINsane 12

Actually, there are genetic reasons for obesity. A slow metabolism would be a prime example of something that could be passed on. There are plenty of studies showing the connection between overweight/obese parent(s) and weight problems with kids. That being said, it doesn't mean that OP will be a bad mother or even that she would be the root cause of her childs weight.

imagineapc 11

A slow metabolism is not genetic. Your metabolism slows down due to aging, changes in hormones, lack of exercise, and all the shit you cram down your mouth. If you can't pronounce it, you shouldn't be eating it - follow that rule and stock up on toilet paper, your metabolism with skyrocket.

No. There are genetic disroders called metabolic disorders. Therefore there is a hereditary aspect to metabolism. Look up lysosomal storage disorders.

nowhere does it say that OP is obese, I don't see why everyone keeps assuming that. she might be a little chubby or just not up to the mother in law's standards of "skinny"

toomanyidiots 14

@25: You can have a metabolic disorder and just be chubby or overweight instead of obese...

bfsd42 20

25, because the wording of the fml clearly, in my opinion, hints at the op being overweight. It's just a case of reading between the lines.

buttcramp 21

OP, I'm really sorry. Prove her wrong or respectfully tell her off! Sounds to me like your fiancée stood up for you, so that's really good! He sounds like a great guy and just remember you're marrying HIM not HER!