By shecrieseverytimeIremindher - 07/06/2016 22:29 - United States - Oregon City

Today, I looked at the revenue from my Etsy shop. After hours and hours of hard work, I was ecstatic to find that I made about $560 so far. That is, until I remembered that it all went to my mom's bank account and I paid all the fees out of my own pocket. And yes, she won't give it back. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 766
You deserved it 1 646

Same thing different taste

Top comments

MikaykayUnicorn 36

If she really cries every time you mention it like your name implies, she clearly doesn't have the mental capacity to know right from wrong because a good parent doesn't just take money their kid earned and then cry when they want the money.

Mathalamus 24

witholding money that you have rightfully earned is illegal. but since the amount is 560 dollars, im not sure you can do anything about it, without it costing more than that. im not sure if you *can* get free lawyers anymore.

Comments

Why were all the profits going to her account? You would at least have a credit card if not debit attached to pay the fees yourself. Just not completely clear on the set up here.

Why on Earth is it set up to go to your mum's account? You have an account that the fees are coming out of. Why isn't the profit going there, too?

If there's some reason you don't have a bank account and can't physically go to a bank to set one up, sign up for something like capital one 360. It's totally online and easy to do.

It seems like you have an account to pay the fees so I don't understand why your profits go to your mom's account. Can't you just change it in the settings on Etsy?

If you're capable enough to run a business - I'm baffled as of to why you'd lack the foresight to have your OWN personal account for your money...

Rayth 19

Um, why is the money being sent to your mother's bank account in the first place? Assuming that your old enough to sell things on Etsy shouldn't you also be old enough to have your own bank account.

bad_boyfriend 10

It amazes me how shitty some peoples parents are. My mom would never do something like this, its really hard for me to understand a parent who can act this way.

"A fool and his money are soon parted." Rule #1 of financial success: Don't let other people hold your money.

rifletwirler92 15

Go to small claims court, I believe it's something like $20-30 to file a claim and it's specifically for cases involving under $1000.

Sorry, OP. You've learned a hard lesson that your mother can't be trusted. It sucks, but even if you don't get the money back (and I hope you do) $560 is a smaller price than a lot of people have to pay for that lesson. Switch the bank account over and never give her access to your money again. Watch your bank cards and checks, too.