By ihateguys - 26/09/2014 19:13 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I heard my boyfriend talking with my father in the backyard. I thought he was asking for my hand in marriage. He was actually telling him about his plans to break up with me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 958
You deserved it 4 004

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I've never heard of a boyfriend telling the father his plans to break up with his daughter. Wouldn't that be a recipe for disaster?

Chente_313 15

I wonder how the father reacted?

Comments

Dreamsorrow93 24

Least when your crying, you will have one less person to tell?

Ummm... you're, not your... And I'm surprised OP's father didn't punch the boyfriend

Dreamsorrow93 24

Grammar nazis me again I'll track you down and shove a dictionary up YOUR ass. Okay? Glad we had this talk.

"Grammar Nazis" is a noun, not a verb. Also, stop being so butthurt.

Why would he punch the boy? If he had a valid reason and it was my daughter, I'd most likely be glad that he wasn't going to waste her time and I'd think it was mature of him to inform me.

addictedtoIASIP 14

Stop trying hard and taking first comment. You ruined 2 posts in a row.

I don't think that is going to help at all but she can try it anyway

#27, call me crazy, but I'd be annoyed if a boyfriend was telling my family he was breaking up with me before telling me. To me telling the Dad first shows he's too immature to talk to the right person, the girlfriend. Probably no great loss in the long run.

I wonder why he wouldn't have told you first op?

Chente_313 15

I wonder how the father reacted?

at least he is thinking it through and probably trying to find a kind way to do it :) ive seen some basty breakups op, because the breaker was very rude about the approach

I would suggest to lock your dad out of the house because he didn't punch the boyfriend in the face!

Maccaroney 11

#3 is clearly sick of this shit. lol

I've never heard of a boyfriend telling the father his plans to break up with his daughter. Wouldn't that be a recipe for disaster?

Not if the boyfriend had a valid reason that would avoid future pain and anguish in a relationship that wouldn't work out.

Oh I totally get that, I just think it's a little weird he went and told the father about his plans, because most fathers would get mad whether the boyfriend had a valid reason or not. Again, I'm saying MOST.

Yeah, that honestly seems like he just wants to create trouble. Maybe he wanted the dad to think he was still a good guy, i.e. he says to OP's father "I'm breaking up with your daughter because she deserves more than me" or "I'm breaking up with your daughter because X" where X is a valid reason but maybe one OP doesn't agree with. Obviously this is all speculation, but still, OP - if there was no valid reason you can think of for him needing to break up with you like you cheating on him - FYL.

Llama_Face89 33

maybe op's dad and the boyfriend are actually friends

I guess he didn't want the dad to come after him

at least he did it the right way by asking your dad first

you're supposed to ask permission from your partner's father to break up with people? is that what you think?

I'm pretty sure 9's joking, but I know if I'd asked my ex's mother for permission to dump his sorry ass, I would not be alive today. Never mind that she was an entitled ice queen who always hated my guts for corrupting her precious baby boy.

lammm_fml 18

I wonder about your dad's reaction. I hope he punched him in the face

I would feel awkward discussing that with my girlfriends parents.

euphoricness 28

It could be worse. He could've told your dad to break up with you for him

and i chimed in, havent you people ever heard of, closing the god damn door? cx

PoisonOrchid 21

Whoa, talk about a blast from the past. Good song though :)