By collegekidproblems - 30/06/2016 19:35 - United States

Today, I have put in many job applications and had many interviews for a variety of positions all of which I am highly qualified for. Today, I heard back from all but one that I am overqualified. Welcome to Walmart. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 553
You deserved it 941

Same thing different taste

Top comments

All you can do is keep trying. People only worry about over-qualification because they think you'll quickly move on to something more in keeping with your training so when you get an interview try to stress that you intend to stay with them for a good while. Good luck!

It's a rough job market out there. Just bide your time, something is bound to come your way. Just remember this isn't the end of the line for you friend.

Comments

DeadxManxWalking 27

I never understand the problem with overqualification, I mean wouldn't it be better to have someone overqualified rather than someone underqualified? It means they'll be able to do their job better.

What employers fear with overqualified people is that they won't take the job seriously. As well as thinking that people will use it as a temporary job, staying only until a better job is available.

psycho2012 7

I have been unemployed for the past 5 months, after numerous interviews and meetings with prospective employers I was finally hired. all the jobs except 1 said I was over qualified, the 1 job said i was hired but then the bosses son just came home from college so they gave him the job for summer and said they will contact me in the fall. I recinded my application and kept looking. I start my new job on Wednesday. keep your head up and the right job will come along, just stay positive and have an upbeat attitude....it's contagious and many employers want people like that

It always takes more time than you think to get a job. Hearing you overqualified is better than underqualified because someone is always looking for expertise. So just keep trying

I was told I was overqualified for pharmacy tech at CVS. pft. I have never worked in a pharmacy.

sailorarctic 22

There's nothing wrong with working at Walmart. I have a dual degree in graphic design and information technology. I work at Walmart. have for almost 10 years. You can move up in the company relatively easily and depending on your qualifications you may be able to work at corporate.

There happen to be many idiots at Walmart though, just google 'people of walmart'

There are idiots everywhere in all job fields not just Walmart.

There are idiots everywhere in all job fields not just Walmart.

Better to move from a job you don't prefer to a better one than from unemployment to your dream job. You will get a paycheck so things are moving the right direction!

Keep your head up, OP. Go in, bust your butt, learn as much as you can, and then take those skills and further your career whether it be a promotion or somewhere else.

Take the job, work it until another company calls you back, and if they don't apply again in six months. You will do fine, make some money while you are looking is the best you can do. After that, you would have something else on your résumé as well.

Sorry. :( There are just no good jobs in California anymore it seems.