By futuremum - 22/03/2012 17:14 - United Kingdom - Bristol

Today, I had to yet again tell my mother-in-law that I wasn't going to name my unborn baby "Ermintrude" after her late mother. My husband told me to stop being difficult, and that he agrees that it would be nice. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 364
You deserved it 2 576

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ermintrude is a name that you joke like ethelburga not one you name a child, they would be teased.

Comments

It would be nice - to your mother in law. But it is your kid, not hers. I suggest you propose to your husband that the baby be named after YOUR grandmother, to "be nice" to your mother (his mother in law).

Or she could use that hideous name as a middle name, so everyone wins?!

OneLittleAdditio 9

tell her that she had her chance at naming her own children and now its ur turn with ur own kids. that shut my mother in law up. also when she demanded more grandchildren because her son (my husband ) wanted more I told her that when he starts pushing them out he could have as many as he wanted. u just gotta stand up to them.

A baby's name is one of the most important gift a "parent" can give a child. I can understand your MIL wanting to honor her late mother but in the end, it's not her decision.

As nice as it would be, it's none of the step-mother's business what name the being coming out of YOUR body has.

your husband doesn't think the name is nice, it's just that he would rather disagree with you than husband mother.

babyshaft408 8

Gretchen isn't that bad of a name, it's just foreign. Whereas Ermintrude is laughably horrendous.

I know a few Gretchens I never thought of it as an unusual name, ermintrude is far worse imo

that's my name and I like it. so rude

Maybe you could compromise and give your child Ermintrude as a middle name.

Xquisite1 28

How about--NO! I see no reason why OP should have to compromise for her mil's sake. The name is hideous whether it be the child's first or middle name.

It's nice to compromise, but in this case it will show MIL that she can keep pushing unreasonable demands on her daughter in law and as long as she keeps harassing her long enough she'll be successful. It's much better to take a stand now and nip this in the bud. OP should ask her husband for support in this, she is entitled to it.

Ah, the middle names! I have three. One was picked at my conformation mass. I am Sonya Simon Patricia burnadette Flynn

nightowl713 25

The name might not sound great, but it's the gesture behind it that makes it special. The child will grow up knowing that she has a beloved family members name as her middle name...I mean it's his kid to, he should get a say..comprise is only fair.

Nah. It's just a name. I'm sure it would generally be shortened to Trudy.

Show them magic roundabout, then ask if they still think it's a good idea.