By Anonymous - 24/02/2010 04:22 - United States

Today, I had to file for bankruptcy because my ex-wife didn't want to pay for the house she didn't want me to have in the divorce, and didn't bother to have my name removed from the loan before she filed bankruptcy herself. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 864
You deserved it 3 581

Same thing different taste

Top comments

isn't there anything you can do legally? bankruptcy really ruins your credit, she ought to be responsible for that

Comments

Seconded. YDI for being a moron and not keeping track of your shit.

twindaddy 0

All you idiots blaming the OP need to get a damn clue. This very same thing happened to me. My divorce agreement ordered my ex-wife to refinance our home into her name. The thing is, the court can't order a bank to refinance the loan if they don't want to, and they didn't. I took her back to court and still got the same verdict. I got court papers saying that I didn't have to pay a dime on that house, but that defaulted loan was still on my credit, so I had to file bankrupcy, too.

mexicantumblewee 0

we want prenup! we want prenup!

malafacaeous 0

I would just burn the damn house down with her in it and let the insurance handle it. Just kidding!! But thought the humor might take your mind off of the shit that she is putting you through. But hey what goes around comes around, foreclose on the damn thing or take out so many leans against it she can't afford to pat them back so she ends up Losing the house.

I avoided this pitfall - and other financial screw ups - in my divorce. Here's how: Get a damn good attorney, and be prepared in advance to tell them exactly what want/need to protect. TIP #1 - I had my settlement agreement written to allow me to directly pay child support/alimony via the mortgage UNTIL my ex-spouse refinanced the loan and had my name removed from the deed. It took her 2+ years to refinance, but I protected my credit by insuring the mortgage was paid in full and on time every month. Once she refinanced, she receives the payments in full and the checks are made out to her directly. TIP #2- I also stipulated that the amount due in child support would be reduced by $$$ per month - and that those funds would go directly into a prepaid college trust fund for our daughter. This insured that my ex would not waste the child support on cigarettes, cheap wine and ice cream. It gave me a much needed tax break on child support payments as well, which are NOT tax deductible. TIP #3 - Also, if you have bills being paid electronically, insure your ex has a credit card in her name only, and a checking account. Get a canceled check and her credit card information, and meticulously change the monthly payments (telephone, cable, electric, tivo, gym memberships, etc) to her new account. Review your monthly bank statements until everything is cleaned up!

I'm sure she already lost the house when she filed for bankruptcy.

capthavoc123 0

You know, this sucks for you, but why the HELL didn't you take care of your own financial business and get yourself removed from the loan?

malafacaeous 0

No not always did she file chapter 7 or 13???Because in chapter 7 they can take your property and assets in general but with 13 they can't and all you do is pay one bill a month till you get everything paid for. But that remains to be seen and if she filed 13 I would be spiteful and put leans against it to get my credit back in Half ass decent shape after they come and take the house.