By jts - 20/02/2016 09:55 - United States - Asheville

Today, I had to console my bawling 6-year-old son and explain that his sister was lying when she told him that when boys in our family turn 13, they turn into girls. I'm not sure who disappoints me more right now. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 425
You deserved it 2 396

Same thing different taste

Top comments

So does that mean I'm not going to turn into a man on my 30th birthday? So why do I have this mustache, then?

Maybe you shouldn't be concerned at all because he is just happy with his gender and doesn't want to change. Also, having a penis is so much fun! Who'd want to lose that?

Comments

That's /so/ much better than my familial condition: once we hit middle age, we turn into porcelain dolls. I have the previous five generations of my family on a shelf in my room. Their vacant eyes watch me as I sleep. It's pretty dumb and creepy, but I try to take some amount of pride in my heritage. Like family reunions are a breeze, and I'm pretty sure we're somewhat immortal.

91hayek 31

At least you aren't Russian dolls. Then ultimately your fate would be to have five generations inside you.

Well thanks for giving my nightmares some new material, guy.

Actually, #15, I'm dating someone who will turn into Russian nesting dolls, and I'm offended by the insinuation that they are in any way inferior. #17, I'm here to help, gal. :)

#20 Unfortunately you can't take her lineage. Then you'd always be inside her! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Why would you be disappointed in a 6 year old? You raise them to trust family, so when his big sister tells him something, he thinks is true. Plus it was just a harmless joke that wasn't taken well.

Maybe you should be disappointed with yourself for raising a boy to see it as some kind of horrible punishment to become a girl.

I don't think he thinks of it as a punishment. He's only six and it would seem terrifying to suddenly become a whole different gender. You can't interpret that from a six year-old.

So boys are all supposed to aspire to achieving womanhood someday? Nutty feminism somewhat? Why must he be trained to prepare for gender reassignment? Maybe he likes being a boy...

Yeah, how dare he like the body he was given. Seriously, what an asshole.

My cousin was convinced of the opposite (girls grow up into boys) when she was younger

I've known of a few who thought that as well.. myself as a kid included

flv88 14

My 7yo fully believed that boys eventually lost their penises and that's how girls were made. Then his sister was born. He's coming to terms with the fact that his brother won't magically turn into a sister.

Um... Did someone get confused about umbilical cords?

flv88 14

Haha I wish that was the case. He wanted a sister instead of a brother. So he convinced himself that his brother's penis would eventually fall off and he would become a girl.

Wait, why would you be disappointed in your son?

Not sure who you're more disappointed in? Your son is only six, for pete's sake. Of course he's going to believe it; small children are pretty gullible. That's no reason to be disappointed in him...

Be disappointed in your son. Your daughter is awesome for coming up with this.

In psych class we learned that children of either gender can think that they will turn into the the other gender if they wear the clothes of the other gender. This is not far from that. I have also seen it when I worked with young kids. Do not be disappointed in your son.

I know a boy at my church belive if they wear flip flops they will turn into a girl

I've never heard of that before. It's also not true, because little girls wear "boy's" clothes all the time without thinking this.