By Anonymous - 12/05/2009 20:56 - United States

Today, I had all four of my wisdom teeth extracted. Under anesthesia I told the dentist my entire love life and drug history in detail. FML
I agree, your life sucks 61 835
You deserved it 14 998

Same thing different taste

Top comments

lmao. SOMEONE can't handle their nitrous oxide. i'd hate to see you under the influence of truth serum.

Damn... did it last the entire session? Bloody hell, must have been a pretty long history if it did... that would be awesome :D

Comments

Rauron 0

Half and half. Sucks 'cause you had no control, but ydi for having the history in the first place *nods*.

Okay since no one seems to know anything about this... You CAN be put completely under for this but generally that does NOT happen. The most common thing for wisdom tooth extractions would be sedation. You do go under a little but definitely not as much as general anesthesia. You will also be given a drug (IV route) that induces anterograde amnesia - you won't remember anything that happens about 1 minute after that drug is administered. So all that stuff you rattle off you PROBABLY won't remember, though it's possible you will recall some parts (I actually remember waking up at some point when I got mine out years ago). Neither drug will prevent pain so you'll also be given local anesthetic "novocaine" (really lidocaine). If the teeth are impacted (fully under bone) the oral surgeon will probably recommend or require sedation and not just the local anesthetic. And the oral surgeon may not go to work immediately... he/she may start a couple minutes after the drugs are administered. This would be a good time for someone to start talking. There is also the period of time after the surgery where you are still recovering. Though gauze will be in your mouth you can still try to speak.. or when they change the gauze you could get some words in. Odds are you won't have much time to talk though from start to finish. Anyhow this is definitely possible. My bet here though, unless the surgeon confirmed what was said, is that the person here THINKS they said that stuff but really didn't. P.S. I am in dental school and have assisted an oral surgeon many times.

I had mine out years ago with just novacaine. It wasn't bad. I suppose some people just get nervous so they put them under, but there is always an increased risk with that.

Only reason why i would say fake is because here they don't allow it to remove wisdomteeth on both sides at once. This because it makes it impossible to eat for a couple of days. If anything, FYL for having them removed, i remember it hurt like hell when they took mine out :'(

I'm pretty sure your orthodontist wouldn't care. Like many of the others said, he probably couldn't understand you since your mouth is wide open and your slurring words from anethesia. Also, if you would act like that, I'm sure many others would. It's just a fun time for the ortho while he/she is doing their job.

I had all four pulled a few weeks ago, talking was basically impossible. I was full sedated because of the fully impacted teeth, but what i do remember doesn't involve any talking on my part, just a bright light and lots of faces and a grinding sound.

grazynaanka 0

my mom is an assistant for an oral surgeon and she sees this all the time. they don't immediatly go in when they give you the anesthesia. they need to make sure it kicks in and does it's job. so it's perfectly normal for people to ramble on and on. it's also possible for that to happen after the fact, while still under the influence. so i really don't think this is a fake. @ #56 this surgery does not require you to be put under. my mom has assisted in a ton of wisdom teeth pulling with those who chose not to be completley under. it's all a matter of choice by the person. and everyone has different reactions to the drugs they are put on afterwards. some may be out for awhile and some may not be.

I've never heard of of somebody getting ALL four wisdom teeth removed at the same time. When I went to the dentist and asked him if he could take out 2 at the same time, he told me those are 2 different surgeries and he wouldn't perform them at once. I don't know how you even manage to eat, drink and talk properly after this giant operation... I feel for you!

poobear 0

that sucks... i got my wisdom teeth out today too but i was pretty much fine a little loopy but i didnt say or do anything stupid like all you guys. im not sure when you had time to talk at all other than maybe while they wait for the anesthetic to kick in before they start in which case you werent even really high yet...

poobear 0

also #104 -- your dentist is kind of a moron i had 2 pulled at a time. the left side a few months ago and the left side today. they do one side of your mouth each time so you can eat on the other side after the first few days. theres no reason pulling the top and bottom ones on the same side of your mouth should be a problem. maybe he just wants you to have 4 separate surgeries instead of 2 so its more expensive...