By LunaCrow - 10/02/2015 02:32 - United States - Shakopee

Today, I had a friend tell me all about how being a vegan was so great. They were eating eggs. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 485
You deserved it 3 123

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

maybe they are confused. there are lots of types of vegetarians, and vegan is the strictest. maybe they mean they are pescetarian (sp?), they are okay with eggs/and or dairy. I don't eat meat myself unless it is seafood, and I'm okay with eggs and dairy.

Nope, there is only one type of vegetarian - vegetarian. Pescetarian, vegan, etc. are not types of vegetarianism. And fyi, pescetarian is veggie + fish, nothing to do with eggs and dairy...(kind of difficult to tell if that's what you meant or not)

Yes, there are different types of vegetarianism. Veganism is one of them, the others are ovo-lacto-vegetarianism, ovo-vegetariansm and lacto-vegetariansm. Pescetarians are omnivores who just skip terrestrial animals, they are basically ovo-lacto-vegetarians who also eat fish.

This is how it works. As a vegan, you can eat unfertilized eggs, because that is just the equivalent of female chicken menstruation, however, a true vegan would not want to do this, because even "free range" "humane" treatment is not conducive to a happy, healthy life for a hen. I am not vegan nor vegetarian, just a personal trainer trying to bring some clarification to the matter

That makes no sense though given that vegans won't drink milk or eat dairy. And milk is "just natural bovine lactation" by that. logic.

it may be natural but the process is usually extended artificially to the discomfort of the bovine. An egg will happen either way, getting milk stop at a point unless sustained by outside influence.

ajs1987 15

I've never understood the big deal with free range chicken anyway. It's like saying, "I want the chickens who are treated with more dignity to die sooner, and I want the ones locked in a cage their whole lives to live longer."

the reason vegans don't eat animal products and byproducts is because of the cruelty, a hen lays eggs pain free without human interference, so, try being passive aggressive somewhere else.

66- a hen CAN lay eggs pain free, but that doesn't mean they don't get treated horribly anyway. Most egg laying hens are kept in absolutely horrible conditions, so yes, there is still an issue of animal cruelty. Regardless, there are many different reasons why people become vegan and not all of them have to do with animal cruelty, so the argument that vegans can eat eggs because they don't cause the chicken pain would be incorrect no matter what. Veganism is a lifestyle choice, not just a dietary choice, and it means that you cannot eat, wear, or in any other way use any product that uses animals at all. Meaning no meat or any other byproduct of meat or animals, including eggs, milk, honey, and gelatin (that's right, no marshmallows or gummy bears either!). It also means no wearing wool, silk, leather, or any other animal made fabrics, and no bath or beauty products that have been tested on animals. Vegans only buy cruelty free certified products, no drugstore brand shampoo or lipstick, and they most certainly do not eat eggs, "pain free" or otherwise. If they do, they are not actually vegan.

JokersHQ 21

Well, while being inaccurate about being vegan, eggs are the me steal cycle of the chicken essentially so they don't hurt the animal any. Hopefully they'll feel less guilty!

what's the point of being a vegan? You deprive yourself of all the delicious meat you can eat, you just eat vegetables and fruit? and nuts for protein? Is it to "save" animals? It's not going to affect the amount of animals that die every day,there's always some binge eating guy out there who will eat his share and your share of meat. There's always going to be that random person in some random restaurant who will order some big fat steak and eat just a quarter of it, leaving the rest to be thrown away.

saddadnmke 10

I'm sure I will get down graded, but how is this an FML. They are your friends and you choose to associate with them. Being friends with ignorant people is not and FML if you continue to talk to them.

You guys know there are 3 types of vegetarianism. One type only eats vegetables. The second type eats vegetables and eggs. The third type eats vegetables, eggs and dairy products.

The FML said "vegan", not vegetarian. Being a vegan means not eating or using anything that has come from an animal. Eggs included.

I think you need to reread the FML, #53..

Beeing a vegan (vegetarian) is only not eating meat. When you don't eat any animal substances it's vegetalien.

rocker_chick23 27

You need to learn that vegans and vegetarians are two totally different things.

I don't understand how your reaction t this is FML. Your friend seems dumb as a doornail, but your life is not effed.