Go, Vegan!

By Cheryl - 16/10/2019 04:00

Today, my vegan sister told my kids where meat and dairy products come from, in a very detailed way. They now refuse to eat meat, and want to, "rescue all the poor animals." FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 857
You deserved it 536

Same thing different taste

Top comments

that's not your sister. that's one less pain in the ass relative to deal with during the holidays

Telling kids in detail how sex works is true too doesn't mean a parent wants their kid knowing that before they have the maturity to handle it process it and make an informed decision. I'm not saying cut off the sister but the parent would be justified in doing so. When you have kids your loyalty should be to them not to your siblings. From the sounds of it the sister did everything she could to traumatize the kids. Not to educate but to ensure that the kids agree with her point of view. If it had been a grandparent telling the kids about hell to scare them into going to church I'd cut them off too. Parents raise their kids when it comes to personal beliefs that don't affect others it's the parents call not the other relatives.

Comments

that's not your sister. that's one less pain in the ass relative to deal with during the holidays

Oh right, a relative tells your kids something that's entirely true and you cut them off ?

Telling kids in detail how sex works is true too doesn't mean a parent wants their kid knowing that before they have the maturity to handle it process it and make an informed decision. I'm not saying cut off the sister but the parent would be justified in doing so. When you have kids your loyalty should be to them not to your siblings. From the sounds of it the sister did everything she could to traumatize the kids. Not to educate but to ensure that the kids agree with her point of view. If it had been a grandparent telling the kids about hell to scare them into going to church I'd cut them off too. Parents raise their kids when it comes to personal beliefs that don't affect others it's the parents call not the other relatives.

But you can't raise your kids in a vacuum. What if a kid at school tells them how babies are made? I remember once, at a barbecue where the meat eaters were roasting a whole goat, a little girl asked me what the meat on her plate was. I explained that it was goat. She then refused to eat it. What was I supposed to have said? (She's a total vegan now she's reached adulthood btw)

you're being unrealistic here. just because you can't control everything as a parent doesn't mean you shouldn't try to control when they learn certain things.

you're correct you can't raise your kids in a vacuum. but you have the right to decide how and when you educate your kids on how the world works. you and and the other parent and absolutely no 1 else.

mccuish 25
Mungolikecandy 19

To be fair, children should be aware of what they are eating come from. Then again, vegan clothing often uses man-made fibres and mass farming techniques which produce vegetables and pulses etc. are damaging to the environment also so she should probably be made to inform them of that also.

Vegans can wear cotton and linen and hemp, it's only wool they can't use. And we even have vegan leather for shoes now, made from waste matter left over from pineapple bushes.

From the sounds of it though the sister didn't tell them "your steak came from cows" the sister went "let me scar you for life so that you associate the eating of meat with fear and pain "

Taylor Caldwell 10

You need to do some serious research before you start sputtering nonsense like that. Just a small tidbit for you to start with, only 6% of soy grown goes to human consumption while the majority over 80% goes to animal feed.

Except it doesn't take much to traumatise a child over meat. I remember very clearly the trauma I went through when I discovered that they are slaughtered. No graphic videos or anything, just my Dad sheepishly admitting that yes, the roast lamb was a baby sheep that was killed so we could eat it. He then bumbled on about sacrificial lambs in the Bible but I had laid my knife and fork down already.

Mungolikecandy 19

Most vegans wear nylon and other man-made fibres as cotton and hemp are practical in certain situations but not others. Also in terms of footwear, very few vegans wear clogs but wear cotton shoes in the summer and man-made material footwear in the winter or risk losing toes in the snow. I admire non-militant vegans for their morality and actions but it is wrong to state it is fully a more environmental approach to living. The soy aspect is true but also there are negatives (such as whilst forests are destroyed for animal production similarly it is destroyed for crop production) and whilst you should not ignore the horrors of eating meat in terms of animal production (especially in places like the U.S. who have terrible laws on meat production compared to such places as the EU which is why there is chlorine washed chicken etc and drug filled beef to enable poorly managed animals to be used as meat) but veganism itself is not a perfect solution.

Most meat-eaters eat man-made fibres too, not just vegans. If humans reduced their meat consumption drastically, animals would no longer be artifically inseminated and raised for consumption, thus eliminating the need to grow the crops used to feed them. You can feed a human being with far less than what beef cattle consume, so there would no longer be any need for deforestation.

Now you can tell your sister to teach your now-living-with-her kids how to prepare vegan meals themselves. Problem solved! Or they can live off of raw carrots and other (canned) vegetables cooked in the microwave else boxes of ("mother-approved") Kix cereal. I imagine that's safer & easier to do than frying/ baking/ grilling meat-based meals, but not knowing of any vegan dishes, I might be wrong (aside from automatically being so anyway just for being a male in and of itself). Also, tell your kids that if they listen very, very carefully, they can then hear the plants scream when they are harvested/ plucked....

Except that you can't hear plants screaming. Meat-eaters telling vegans that you can hear plants screaming: do you not see the irony? I just tell them that once they have stopped eating meat fish dairy and plants, I promise to follow suit.

Just because you can't hear said screaming doesn't mean that they don't: the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. No, it's not irony, but sarcasm and messing with kids' minds. Vegans are hypocrites because they weren't as such from day #1. [Edit] Meaning since the day of their birth; So does that also mean that they're ashamed of their parents and all ancestors who weren't vegans? And had the latter been so, they might've died before having kids (depending on circumstances), so today's vegans wouldn't even ever exist.... [/Edit] What gives them the right to declare that plants - also living things like animals - are not worthy of the same respect & treatment as said food-providing animals? Are fish too unworthy? (In the Bible, God - thru Moses - told the Israelites only to avoid eating pigs and things that crawled on the ground.)

You're not a hypocrite just because you stop eating what you were fed from birth. What's hypocritical is eating meat when you're not capable of slaughtering an animal yourself. Some vegans were born to vegan parents, so they can safely say that they have been vegan from birth. And I don't give a toss for what it says in the Bible. I prefer to think for myself.

Someone screws with your kids, they won't see the kids anymore. Good luck getting your kids untraumatized.

Or maybe start thinking for yourself about sustainable, healthy eating and provide your kids with a diet they feel comfortable about? You can't raise kids in a vacuum, they are gonna be exposed to other points of view. Your children are not carbon copies of you, they are entitled to listen to other people and make up their own minds. (my mother refused to let me be vegetarian until I was 18 and I hate her for it)

No but there's something very wrong telling gruesome things to someone else's children just because they eat something you don't eat. There's a right way and a right age to teach children things but just going to someone else and messing with their kids isn't the way and someone who ***** around with the way you're raising your kids for nothing more but different ideologies doesn't have a place in those kids' upbringing.

If there's nothing wrong with eating meat, the kids wouldn't have been traumatised.

You're not much of a rebel. More like an attention-seeking chump.

I couldn't care less about your opinion of me. However, by resorting to insults, you have shown that you have no arguments left. The insult says far more about you than about me.

After six months of badly prepared tofu and beans, they will take interest in meat again. Or they will learn to cook their own food. Either case, you win!

Mungolikecandy 19

Personally, having lived with a flextarian diet, I often find vegetarian food is more tasty than the meat based food.

Your sister sounds like a entitled ass hat and wouldn't be welcomed in the house anymore cause that's some bullshit, ya don't traumatize kids to get your point of view across what a ****.

Telling children stuf that's true is not being entitled.

not your kids not your business or right.

agreed. How old are the kids? There is a tactful way to talk about where our food comes from, and its obvious that she lacks it.

tell your kids and uour sister about how many more animals are murdered to keepp thrm away from vegan crops

Taylor Caldwell 10

Good, maybe it’s time you stop lying to them and yourself and gain a little compassion in your life.