By Anonymous - 03/10/2010 14:59 - Australia

Today, I got my posting orders for the Air Force. After spending four years training and studying to become an aerospace engineer, I am getting sent to the only base without aircraft. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 174
You deserved it 3 233

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Buddy America has government inefficiency too. If you don't believe me go to the DMV. Now please stop saying America is the greatest place ever. You're making Americans look bad.

Comments

Gadomski87 2

Sucks. I was in the AF and got sent to Minot, ND. Now that was a horrible base.

Ooh - Minot. Famous for all the wrong reasons...

ArthursLifeSucks 2

Yeah, unless you are lucky enough to be working with physical prototypes, being an engineer doesn't lend itself to actually working on aircraft. You will be designing things in CAD and doing computer simulation of stresses/forces/flows/whatever. Hopefully they'll let you see the test flights of the hardware you help design though.

MGSPOP 1

i hope u make the best of it

UnicornsDoExist 0
The_Earth 0

systems fail. so does your life.

juturnaamo 29

Sorry man, I feel your pain. I'm an Army generator mechanic for a non deployable unit in Germany. We have 5 generators which all run, 4 generator mechanics. I just did a service on a generator that ran 12 hours last year...it only ran 12 hours because it is turned on for 15 minutes a week while I make sure that 'yes, this useless piece of equipment still works.' The bad news for you my friend, is that the less legitimate use you have in the military, the more you have to clean your boots, and have perfect class A uniform, and stand at parade for assholes who are younger than you, never lived alone, and maybe have one rank on you. Have fun!

Aerospace engineers don't work on any planes anyway. They just design them.

OK, that's pretty much wildly inaccurate. They don't hands-on maintain aircraft, but they design modifications, repairs, analyze damage, develop maintenance systems, approve role changes and a bunch of other stuff too extensive to list here. Not everything on that list requires the physical presence of a plane, but it certainly makes a big difference in the type of work OP would be undertaking. The RAAF recruits engineers by telling them they'll be working on the cutting edge of the latest technology, so the difference between what you're told and reality is a bit of a shock. I think this applies to all branches of all militaries though.

So I was right. There don't need to be aircraft there for him to be an aerospace engineer. He'll still get to use what he learned in his training and studies.

biggecko 4

If you are complaining you abviusly shouldn't be in the army

that really sucks. i wanted to be an engineer but decided i would be in your position so i want to be a pilot in the navy

As a tip - don't refer to the job as being a 'pilot' when you apply! In the US Navy, a pilot is someone that guides a ship into port. Someone that flies is a Naval Aviator.

Marvin_Android 0

Sounds terrible. Just think: all that effort of the past few years is for naught. That is but a smaller version of what life is really like: everything you do ends up being for nothing. Depressing, isn't it? I know it depresses me. Everything depresses me. Life. Don't talk to me about life.