By fuckcops - 13/06/2011 19:06 - United States

Today, I got my paycheck. I was really excited since I've been broke for the last two weeks. On my way home, I got pulled over and got a ticket for expired tags. The $90 for new tags plus $135 for the citation will leave me with enough to buy a burger. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 801
You deserved it 29 674

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Maybe renew your tags on time like a responsible adult and this won't happen.

Comments

you had to get new tags cause you were expired? and you usually get a few weeks to pay fines... op I say you totally deserved this one for not renewing on time and not reading your ticket

TraceCase_ 19

That is a bummer, but could be worse. You could have been pulled over right after spending that paycheck. Then what?

either you have a shitty job or you barely work to begin with. so quit whining like a bitch and do something about it asshole!

a_nutritionist 10

because when youre studying the smart choice is to get MORE work so that you focus less on your studies and potentially fail the course thats preventing you from earning money temporarily anyway...? oh yeah, wise.

qwacktastick 8

153 - Study what? Who said anything about studying?

My brother worked full-time and went to school full-time from the time he was 17. I worked 30 hour weeks freshman through junior year of college with 50 hour weeks in the summer, and then moved to full-time work while going through my senior year of college and then full-time through grad school. There's no such thing as "too much work" there's only poor time management.

a_nutritionist 10

@168 the idiot assumed the obvious solution was finding more work. i pointed out a situation in which that simply doesnt make sense. @176 tell that to a med student or med graduate who barely passed because theyre working full time while trying to study. ive never heard of someone working full time and studying full time in a serious field and being successful at both. sure, maybe your brother pulled it off (doubt it) but not everyone has the ability to do so, and expecting them to be able to is bullshit.

181 - My brother did it with his IT degree. My father, grandfather, and cousin didnit with their engineering degrees and grandmother did it with her medical degrees (she was the most respected pediatrician in her city for 40 years, NOT a nurse). I did it with my bachelors and masters in accounting and am now studying for the CPA.

ReynshineCutting 10

Well ladifuckingda good for your family. Not everyone can memorize a textbook in 7 minutes. Some people get burned out. I won't even work part time while going to college full time because I was burned out before I even got here. And P.S. An accounting degree is only mildly difficult. Try a science degree and then we'll talk. And realize that a degree program when our grandparents went is nowhere near as hard as it is now, nor was the cost of living and education so astronomically high.

Also in some fields it's necessary to get experience that you will not be paid for in order to get into grad school (research experience). Sure, I could try to find a job that works 30-40 hours a week, but that would have to be on top of 15-20 hrs a week spent in the lab and the 30+ hours of studying I have to do on most weeks to keep up with 18 credits of science classes (including labs). So instead I work 15 hours a week, but I'm mostly supported by merit-based scholarships so that works for me. You can call that poor time management if you want, but when I'm out of the house from 8 am to 9 pm between classes and work already and then having to study late into the night with no time for recreation of any sort, I don't see much room to fit in a full-time job. Try being a science major before you judge us.

Maybe you shouldn't have let your tags expire?

If you knew you couldn't pay why didn't you talk to the DMV or find out how to get an extension? It's your fault for not taking care of it. The sticker doesn't change months every year so you knew better. Usually if you tell them you can't pay talk to the clerk at your designated court. You could put off paying the ticket for 9m max. Just don't flake or nobody will help you.

its most definitely your fault if you aren't renewing your tags. Driving is a privilege and you could have lost that privilege for being irresponsible. If you can't have the responsibility of paying off tags, than don't get a car. A car is a luxury and want, not a need, anybody can live without a car, it's been proven for thousands of years, so no excuse, all a car does is make life slightly easier. Learn some responsibility and start paying on time or ahead of time. Cops are more than willing to give tickets for being irresponsible. Think of it this way, it's their way of saying "have a happy early christmas present"

a_nutritionist 10

theres so much wrong with that comment im not sure where to begin...

qwacktastick 8

No, this comment makes the most sense out of every one here. This person is exactly right, people have lived so long without cars...and even so there is the bus, a bike, or maybe even a friend/co-worker.

a_nutritionist 10

@169 yeah and you know what else theyve done? lived in close proximity to each other. never have people lived in such broad areas as today, expanding continuously. they also didnt live in such dense population groups. additionally, it talks about the "privilege" of driving. im sorry but do our tax dollars not pay for the roads? does our money not pay for our cars? do we not pay for our training to be qualified to drive? and then we are given the "privilege" of driving? **** off. oh but hey, they didnt pay for some tags on time, therefore all their driving ability and cost is null and void, because without those tags you dont deserve the "privilege" of using the money youve spent over **** knows how many years, despite being fully qualified. no. a warning is all that is required here, since there is no major breach of the law.

ReynshineCutting 10

Nutritionist is right. It's not a ******* privilege when we pay what we do in taxes, and not when you live 50 (hell, 20) miles from your job. Considering there are no jobs available you have to take what you can get, even if they're far away and don't pay shit. It's not a choice to work shithole jobs that barely put food on the table right now. I'd say food is a little more important than padding some politician's wallet.

bizzy1705 0

you should have shows the cop your check. maybe he'd laugh and feel sorry for u.

justanotherrando_fml 2

**** them cops… they need to focus more on robberies, murders, and shit like that instead of someone trying to make with expired registration

yeah, but it's their job and it's law, there's no fighting with the law. The most she could do is take it to court, but she'd get nothing out of it. Laws were created because nobody knows how to be responsible and people still need to be told what and what not to do. A tag on a car shows that you have the privilege of driving, as well as a renewed license, and if you can't keep up with it, than the gov't has full right to take away that privilege of driving because the person can't take a few minutes out of their life to renew a tag.

jus_roll_with_it 0

Actually, when you renew your tags it is more so to say your taxes are paid and your car is safe to drive.

a_nutritionist 10

@61 i cant help but notice you favouring anything that is legal as though you have some stake in the legal system. "Laws were created because nobody knows how to be responsible and people still need to be told what and what not to do." i didnt realise the law was a universal 'right'. here i thought it was just a set of standards imposed by humans, not a god-like omnipotent being. because obviously if it was created by men, assuming its anything other than subjective would be laughably stupid. and uh, its the governments right? rights exist because they are imposed by governments. a right is something you only have when an individual or group of individuals restrict your behaviour. as such, of course the government has the RIGHT to do whatever they deem to be so, because they enforce the rights...that entire point is moot. im not even touching on your use of the word "privilege"...what a load of nonsense.

158 - there is so very, very much wrong with your comment. It's a law, okay? The police exist to enforce the laws of our society. Does the revenue from license plate tags go to the state government? Yeah, it does. And it goes to help pay for a whole bunch of important state services. Bottom line: as long as a law exists you need to obey it or risk punishment by the government, but if you feel THAT strongly about it then write to your state representative.

a_nutritionist 10

@177 uh...did i say people shouldnt have to pay money towards car registration? did i say ANYTHING about the police in a negative way? why are you telling me this as though any of it relates to what im saying?