By Anonymous - 16/11/2009 00:52 - Canada

Today, I found out that I'm going to be a mother. This was a mystery, since I take birth control and use condoms all the time. Or, at least, it was, until my mother admitted to swapping my pills and poking holes in my condoms so she could have a grandchild before she died. FML
I agree, your life sucks 67 104
You deserved it 4 186

Same thing different taste

Top comments

WHAT. That is terrible!!!! D: What if you're not ready for kids?! Jeez... she is crazy. Sorry about your pregnancy. Unless, that is, you're ready for kids now and wanted one.

Emma89_ 0

sorry, but your Mothers a nut job o.O

Comments

ohreally123 0

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Not that I have anything against religion in general, but people like this poster give it a bad name. Sex outside of marriage is perfectly natural - sex is a natural occurrence; marriage is a human made institution.

tiancai 0

If it happened outside of marriage I agree with #17, but there is a possibility that the OP is married and simply she and her husband didn't want children yet.

Well put #27, and #26 too. I'm a Christian too, but OP, you didn't deserve this.

So your argument is that sex should be saved for marriage because you're more likely to develop subconscious attraction towards someone you ****** with, and as such they should be someone that you have a 'permanent' relationship with? Privacy and alone time don't really have anything to do with it. You don't have to have sex to have private time, and you don't need to be married either. Furthermore, marriage is hardly permanent these days - isn't it around 33 to 50% of marriages end in divorce? You can try and justify "sex before marriage is bad" as much as you want, but when it comes down to it, sex outside of marriage is neither right nor wrong - it's just an event which occurs. When you start calling it right or wrong, or saying YDI for having sex outside of marriage (insinuating that sex inside of marriage is that much more noble), you're covering the truth (that it is just an event with no inherent right or wrong) with your own opinions and values. However, on that train of thought, OP may have deserved it for having sex at all, as there's always the risk of pregnancy.

Seriously, as if in our society, sex were only there for the sake of reproducing... In this century, sex is a mean to pleasure, to sharing and to bond, not a way to multiply. The child she is going to get, either it'll go through an identity crisis when it learns it wasn't wanted at all, or she'll give it up (same problem), or she'll go through abortion (and that's quite traumatic). So either way, the OP's mother ****** up someone's life - let's not talk about the child's father who could be a temporary thing and not the love of the OP's life. And, she could be very young. If the mother is paranoid that she's going to die son and never have grandchildren, there's no saying how old the OP is...

Um, you've got some pretty flawed logic going on here. OP was taking every precaution to prevent unwanted pregnancy and her mom went and ****** it up. The chances of her getting pregnant using 2 forms of contraceptives is so incredibly low. OP, I would beat the shit out of your mother and then send her the bill for the abortion. I'm all for people taking control of destiny or whatever but not if it's ******* with someone else's life.

fretforyerlatte 0

OP could very well be married, it doesn't say. not everyone who is married wants children right away, or at all.

That's bullshit. Just because someone is having sex outside of an archaic institution doesn't mean they deserve an out-of-wedlock child. Especially when they were taking all necessary precautions.

I'm not saying a relationship should be based on sex, but it is definitely important to have a rounded relationship. For all of you saying sex should be saved for marriage- GROW A BRAIN. Sex is a huge part of a relationship. If you are with someone for a long time, then get married without having sex first, then have sex and you aren't physically compatible with each other, it's going to hurt the relationship a lot (Pardon the huge run-on sentence for the grammar nazis). Again- I'm not saying a relationship should be based on sex, but sexual compatibility is extremely important in a relationship where the couple wants to have sex.

What happens if she doesn't want to get married? I'm not going to get married because I don't believe in it, so should I never have sex?

AndelleRae 9

I direct everyone naysaying the OP for having sex outside of marriage to this: http://www.fmylife.com/love/5148313

Well, in the scope of christian ethics and morality, sex before marriage is wrong. However, op may not be a christian, thus she would not follow christian ethics. Or, op might be married, thus it is perfectly fine for her to have sex with her husband. However, even if op were an unmarried christian who had premarital sex, she did not deserve to have her mother invade her privacy like that. And to whoever decided that she deserved this, get off your high horse. Even if you always followed every christian ethic (which I'm sure you don't), it isn't your place to judge op. A good christian would know that judging should be left to God. ... now dismounting soapbox.

If I were a chick and had my mum do this to me, I'd sue her ass. You want to try and ruin my life out of selfishness (not that the life would be ruined, but it'd become much more difficult), then I'll try and ruin your life with a big payout.

It's still not too late for your mother to not have a grandchild before she dies. You'll just have to focus more on the second part than the first part.

tiancai 0

Seriously, swap her medication for potassium cyanide and call it even.

this week on maury: crazy moms with crazy secrets confess to their children.

You know what? Give HER the baby to raise! She wants a ******* grandchild so badly, make her put up with it.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Let her raise the child have sleepless nights and all that goes with having a child....but then that wouldn't be great for the child. I cannot even begin to fathom how someone could do this to another human being. A child isn't a play toy, it's a life long commitment, she had no right to do this to the op no matter her reasons. Someone mentioned suing....hell yes! Op, if you do decide to keep the child I would be making your mother be available 24/7 to help out in any way you see fit, including baby sitting at a moments notice. I really wouldn't blame you if you never spoke to your mother again. Definitely a FML!

I don't think leaving any child with the OP's mother would be a good idea..

sk8erboy_fml 0

Christian or not, it ******* sux ass. I'd like to know how your mother got near your contraceptives. It's understandable in this economy that an adult might still live with their parents for some reason or another. Still, why wouldn't you take precaution when it comes to something that serious? Get the depo shot. You put on weight but it is a lot less grief. Remembering whether you took your pill or not. I work with this girl that forgets to take hers. You are just asking for a pregnancy.

Quest_ 13

Using both condoms and the pill is "just asking" to fall pregnant?

#37 uh, yea. cuz most girls aren't diligent about taking their pills and then they fall back on condoms, which break in case you don't know.

Everyone I know who takes birth control does so religiously and have almost never been known to have missed a day. Just because you know a bunch of people who forget regularly, doesn't mean most people do. And OP was using BOTH. She was not "just asking for it". She was being cautious and mature about it. Besides, the likelihood of the condom breaking (assuming it's not expired or some shit) is quite low, even if OP does forget to take her pill one day.

Not to mention the fact that if you're that careful, and you forget a pill or a condom breaks, there's always Plan B. I mean, literally Plan B, the drug. haha. Sure, it's an overload of hormones, but it's obviously worth it. So someone being that careful is definitely not "asking for it," even though I go with the position that sex was originally for reproduction, so if you get a kid out of doing it for some other reason, you shouldn't have to kill the kid just because what was supposed to happen happened. I mean, look how hard it is to prevent a kid. Reproduction really, really wants to happen. You just shouldn't be shocked when the 97% success rate of condoms or 99% success rate of pills fail, and if you're having sex, you should always be aware that the thing that is SUPPOSED to happen with sex (pregnancy) might happen. Either way, overlapping the 97% and 99% rates at the same time is hardly "asking for it."

Depo = osteoporosis over a prolonged period of time. As others have mentioned, using 2 forms of contraception only proves how much the OP DIDN'T want a child and was taking precautions to make sure she didn't get pregnant. How are you "asking for it" by doubling up?

This is probably fake, but on the remote chance it is real... Wow. This isn't a joke or a prank. This is seriously sick and disturbing. I'd think of at least three consequences that could follow such an act: 1. Get an abortion (assuming you are okay with it and willing to go through the health risks). If she protests and thinks it's murder, tell her she only had herself to blame and the death will be on her consciousness. 2. Go to the police and press charges. Beyond property damage there's a potentially more serious issue of interference with one's medication (birth control is a prescription pill, after all), which could constitute assault. 3. Civil court. Sue. Physical as well as emotional expenses. If you say "you must be crazy, she wouldn't do something like that to her mother", well, I think this kind of conduct goes above and beyond any "mother knows best" or "honest mistake" scenario, and is truly conduct unbecoming a mother, grounds for disowning.

birds_fml 7

The health risks of abortion are far less than the health risks of carrying a pregnancy to term.

How does one poke holes in sealed condoms? Do you use the same one over and over, or something? Or did you mother sneak in when it was pitch-black during the love-making to covertly poke holes in the condom(/penis)? And all of the birth control pills I've seen come in an unmistakable round foil sheet that organizes the pills into days of the week, for that exact reason that they won't get swapped with random other pills. There should be an "I don't believe you" button.

Obviously, you don't have to open a condom wrapper to poke a whole in it. You just stick a pin through it. Why would you open it first?? Common sense dude. The birth control pills are a little more tricky, but maybe the OP keeps them in a small tin or something, i've known people who keep them in those little medication boxes. Think before you speak!

#36 What are you, an infant??? You just take a pin, and pierce through the wrapping and the condom inside!! No need to open it, DUH. The pin holes are too tiny for people to notice the condom has been tampered with, but sperm is tiny and will easily go through.

I was exaggerating my joke about how improbable it is to poke a hole through condoms. A hole in the wrapper IS always noticeable, since it's such a durable foil. Even if you keep the pills in a "small tin," they are still all organized on the same sheet. Poking them out of the sheet and into your own bottle would be disorganized and sets you up for failure because there are different pills for the last week of the month. People buy the pills in a container like this: http://www.steadyhealth.com/articles/user_files/4540/Image/bcpills.jpg and refill the container with a new sheet of pills. Again, just short of the mom opening the foil pill-sheet, putting in different pills, and closing the foil, I really, really don't believe the pills were swapped. Let's say someone was that disorganized with such an important pill: they would have to be extra careful about taking the wrong one if they just dumped the pills into some tin, wouldn't they? Especially since they have to take the right pill for the right week. Since I find the pill thing so hard to believe, and the condom thing just jumps out at me as implausible (even though it might be unnoticeable if you're doing it wildly in the dark every single time), I upgraded the condom's implausibility to a plain lie because of how far-fetched the story is as a whole. And on a more inductive note since I don't believe the story anyway, I just would never believe that a mom would do that right away as her first option for getting a grandchild. Could she at least tell the daughter her wishes and ask for a kid? If the OP is leaving that detail out and there had been many instances of the mom taking more and more steps to make her dream a reality, wouldn't she be more careful when having sex? Especially if we go with the idea that she just tossed her pills into a disorganized tin? Also note the fact that you obviously don't just pop in a pill before having sex like you'd pop on a condom, but you have to have the pill at around the exact time you had it the day before to stay on the cycle. For such a planned out, precise thing, who would slip-up like that. I'm just calling BS on it, that's all.

baumunk 0

My sister-in-law gets her pill in regular prescription bottles, you know, the orange ones with the white lids or whatever. Though I agree it's an unlikely story.

AndelleRae 9

Not all condoms come in foil wrappers. I have a bunch of them that come in plain plastic wrappers. It would actually be quite easy to overlook a hole in one like that.

I have sewing needles that are for exceedingly delicate fabric. Those would leave very tiny holes, I'm sure. They would be especially unnoticeable in the dark and in the heat of the moment.