By ihateloopholes - 21/06/2015 20:42 - Lebanon - Beirut

Today, I forbade a student in the writing seminar I instructed from continuing to present his disturbing poems about demons. He responded to this by convincing nearly every other student in the seminar to write and read out loud several of his poems. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 003
You deserved it 8 613

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Actually, I kinda agree with the student. **** your censorship, OP. Stephen King has written many masterpieces.

drayloon 50

Is it a creative writing course? You shouldn't be forbidding a student from writing about what they want then, as long as isn't criminal.

Comments

I think all of you are going in a wrong direction in a crucial point. Not allowing something cause it's inappropriate is not equal to censorship. Not allowing something in a domain where one is the one who calls the shots isn't censorship. If he forbade him to recite or share his poems outside from class, THAT would be censorship. The freedom of speech gives you the right to say or write everything you want, but not everywhere you want. You still gotta obey to authorityfigures in their domains. As cursing and cussing is forbidden in schools, I think it's OPs right as a teacher to decide what he want's to work with. I bet you people would be losing your shit if the poems were homophobic or racist or anything. But maybe for OP these poems of demons weren't any better. Maybe they were bothering him. Maybe they were affecting his life, giving him nightmares. Who are you people for trying to blame OP for trying to make his workplace pleasant for him?

TallMist 32

There's a difference between writing something homophobic or racist and writing about demons.

TallMist 32

Oh, as well as the fact that the majority agreed that the student's poems are not disturbing at all and liked them (Based on the fact they took the student's side.)

1. That is offensive to Spn fans 2. He's being creative not mass murdering everyone

I mean it might be different, but it's not harming anyone just scaring them it's called creative writing for a reason I really don't see the problem here they are many worse things in life or hell on Tumblr then some persons demon stories

That's what happens when you try and stifle creativity, OP!