By ihateloopholes - 21/06/2015 20:42 - Lebanon - Beirut

Today, I forbade a student in the writing seminar I instructed from continuing to present his disturbing poems about demons. He responded to this by convincing nearly every other student in the seminar to write and read out loud several of his poems. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 002
You deserved it 8 613

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Actually, I kinda agree with the student. **** your censorship, OP. Stephen King has written many masterpieces.

drayloon 50

Is it a creative writing course? You shouldn't be forbidding a student from writing about what they want then, as long as isn't criminal.

Comments

That's his creative voice. As disturbing as it may have been, you should've let him continue. Unless these students were really young kids, but the fact that you said seminar tells me they were old enough. And if it was disturbing enough for you to stop him he must have some talent.

You people aren't thinking about it right, you just assume it was a simple censorship case, if someone were to do poems supporting rape, racism, the holocaust, etc I bet most of you would side with the teacher. Besides the school could have a rule that instructs all teachers to prevent students from reading those poems.

If other kids agreed to read them then I highly doubt they are as bad as supporting racism, rape, or the holocaust.

The other students could have been more afraid of him than they were of the op. Maybe he threatened them somehow?

bobsanction 18

You should not be a teacher.

if it falls under the category of whats required by the class, then you deserved it, its your problem if you cant handle. however if that is not the case, disregard said comment.

That's what you get for being an asshole. Where do you get off telling a student he can't participate because you don't approve of his topic? If you wanted to control the topic, you should have assigned one.

charlie charlie, can i write several disturbing poems about you and present them to my class using my other classmates?

YDI for censoring your students and losing control of your class.

Wow, op. You're setting a limit to people's creativity? That's fantastic. Teach math if you want limits and guidelines, not creative writing. I hope that kid goes on to become a multimillionaire thriller writer.

It never said creative writing don't assume. Maybe they were supposed to write an analysis of business practices and instead the student wrote demon poems all the time.