By lezbplove - 19/03/2011 05:26 - Canada

Today, I finally decided to tell my parents I was a lesbian. They spent the next few hours reading me the bible. FML
I agree, your life sucks 55 557
You deserved it 22 982

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I'm so sorry OP. I want to comment before the comments get shut off since moderators seem much more sensitive these days and I know that this is going to turn into a religious debate. I was raised Mormon and have a gay friend that was raised Mormon with me. They tried sending him to therapy, he tried praying it away etc. etc. He is now with his boyfriend. Stay true to yourself and your nature. Don't let a 2000 year old book, translated through multiple languages, with ridiculous messages get you down. You need to be happy with who you are :)

don't let people judge you! just be yourself no matter what people say or do.

Comments

I know what you are going through. Not so much with the bible thing. but I recently came out to my mum and let me tell you it wasn't peachy at all!! and it's unfair! as far as I am concerned, love is love. accept it!! live your life ad try not to let it get you down! :)

Yikes, ouch. You were very brave, OP. Don't try to 'pray away the gay' like your parents apparently want you to, it will most likely make you miserable. But good on you for coming out. Sorry your parents are intolerant. (This might be parents trying to come to terms with this, but seeing as they got the Bible out and started preaching, I doubt it...)

@Dragons_corn The Bible is only meaningful if you are a believer. it's not relevant to her situation what YOU believe is right or wrong - only what SHE believes. And she doesn't have the free will to not be a lesbian. She either is or isn't. PS...calling you out on your ignorant, judgmental comment isn't stupid. Do you have any idea how many young gay people commit suicide because their homophobic families make them feel worthless and evil?

The whole suicide thing is a shame, really. Its sad to see so many people with so little self confidence. If I was gay, then hell, I guess I'd be gay. I believe it's where the generation split. Older people and people raised in the old fashioned ways will always be anti-homosexual. Its tradition. People who learn for themselves, though, will see that homosexuality never has to come into their lives at all if they dont want it to.

chris_syl 0

winner my comment was moderated, I only was pointing out to OP that God made Adam and Steve not Adam and Eve.

sorry got the reply completely wrong, meant he made Adam and Eve and not Adam and Steve!!!!

Got made Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve. Get the point?

OP: it's a shame it went that way. My advice to you is to tell them only what you need to from now on until you leave home. If your community is as close-minded as your family, keep yourself safe and find good, trustworthy people who wull be there for you if your family don't come arourd. What they and their religion say about you is meaningless. Don't ever let them convince you that there is anything bad or weird about the way you feel.

@21 He also made women out of a rib, a man survive in a whale (or big fish) and a virgin have a baby. Are you ******* kidding me?! Let me know when the beans you plant grow into a beanstalk.........

**** you're***** and not all religions believe the old testament it was exaggerated to make a point to the Israelites.

the four gospels were written to four different communities some were Gentiles some already new the Jewish faith

Because it is a shock. As a parent, you want a better life for your child. Being homosexual means OP will have to deal with ignorance, intolerance, and hatred. Nobody would wish that life for their child. My child wouldn't even be able to get married in her hometown. I don't think homosexuality is a choice since I've seen gay children grow up to be gay adults nor do I believe there is a right or wrong sexuality. Even with my beliefs, I can't pretend I'd be ecstatic if one of my kids came out to me. I'd be happy for him/her but intensely worried at the same time. People are unkind and that is my baby. I never want to see my baby get hurt.

I would have just gotten up and walked out. sorry that your parents reacted like that, OP. I guess some people could argue that they care about you and worry about you but your parents probably think that being gay is a choice and AIDS is magically created when two men have sex like all the other awesomely misinformed people of the world.

Do people actually believe that about AIDs...? Wow...