By GM38 - 23/06/2012 02:57 - United States - Melbourne

Today, I divorced my husband of 20 years. The only positive thing about my day was my pregnancy test. Yes, it was his. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 097
You deserved it 9 010

Same thing different taste

Comments

addie19 6

That is really fyl if you divorced because you thought you couldn't have kids. :(

custmwoody9 4

Wow, talk about premeditated! "mommy, was I a planned pregnancy?" "oh yeah son! Do u know how much it costs to insure a Bently?!" what a b$@?h!!!

lovelyspyder 7
TheDrifter 23

Not a bad alimony joke. Gouging on alimony and child support is very common here. Most often the mother will be awarded over 2/3 of the father's take home pay, while he is expected to take a second job or live in poverty to make the payments, its a brutally biased system.

FreaksandGeeks 5

223- I don't know what state your from but in Texas, child support is only 8% of the father's monthly income.

Woah woah woah, wait... "Was"? I hope that doesn't mean what I think it does...

mercymedical 6

And who cares if she did. Her choice. Poor reason if that's the case but who are you to comment?

*rolls eyes* I was not passing judgment, simply making a statement. I for one am pro-life, but hey, it's OP's life and decisions. Don't try to start "FML beef" simply because you made an assumption.

29- I don't know.... It sounds like she wants an FML beef!!!

29- forgive me for saying this, but didn't people stop this *rolling eyes* shit after seventh grade?

67 - Reasonable question - depending on the person. I roll my eyes in disgust and/or annoyance depending on the situation. I do this in order to refrain from using profanities or to help myself remain civil in situations where I'm dealing with idiots.

Hate to shatter the "tea party'" "logic" but she just took took the pregnancy test . A Fetus at that stage looks more like an ameboid or bacteria. Also, it has no brain yet. So it would be just as alive as a office potted plant. Anything that can be reabsorbed by the female body as if it was never there should not be deemed "alive. Livening yes, alive no.

112 - Again, another opinion. I do respect yours more as you're not rudely trying to make your point the one and only. In my opinion, once a sperm implants within the egg and the cells begin multiplying, it is now a living creature. True, the embryo does not have a brain or heart within the beginnings of the pregnancy, but it's the possibility of what the embryo may become that I'm concerned with. Plus, maybe the OP realized she was late several months later. Some women miss their periods for months but see nothing wrong with that as it is their usual cycle. Anyway, my opinion has been stated, as a Child and Youth Worker I'm not judgmental on the situation nor am I going to butt heads in order to see who is "right" on a topic which is almost solely based upon opinions.

Rachaelc23 8

Why are you having sex with someone you are divorcing?

This is exactly what went through my head when I read this FML. Unless the sex wasn't consensual, OP, then you definitely deserved it.

egc573 40

It might have been a last screw before the divorce got finalized or something. That, and not all divorces are clean. My parents changed their minds a few times even after filing, for example. The OP and her ex could have gotten back together for a bit before deciding to break it off for good. But jeez, a kid after 20 years of marriage? I don't envy the OP.

For all you know she could be 3 months along and the thing that caused the divorce could have happened after conception.

If that's the case, 49, you'd think they would have the sense to use some protection, if this was their "last screw". 56: the FML is implying that she received a positive pregnancy test on the same day she divorced her husband.

Break up sex duuh. I mean isn't that what everyone does these days?

egc573 40

57: I agree, you really would! Then again, one stupid idea could have led to the next. And in my opinion, a last screw would be a VERY stupid idea. Not wearing protection is even worse. That, and contraception isn't always foolproof. Especially when fools are the people using it.

freaknluvit 9

well 57. After 20 years of marriage and no kids it's a pretty good guess they thought they couldn't have kids. So why bother? Or maybe they did and it failed.

57- 2-3 months is generally when women find out they're pregnant, especially when they're not trying to get pregnant.

Divorces don't happen over night. It takes some time. So even if she's 2-3 months pregnant...the divorce process was probably already started or the possibility was at least talked about by that time.

172: So 20 years of marriage comes to a halt because they can't have a child together? Marriage is a sacred thing, and it shouldn't be broken apart by things like that. They could always adopt.

190- In most cases, women know their cycle well enough to know they're pregnant within 3-4 weeks of conception. It's the exception that some women don't miss their first period and wouldn't necessarily know until they were a month (or more) along... That said, I'm definitely on the side of "Why are you sleeping with someone you're divorcing?". OP definitely deserves it, IMO.

56, Assuming that was true, then she's an idiot regardless. What one thing occurs after 20 years of marriage that can cause someone to divorce the person in under a few months - given that the process of divorce isn't usually an overnight thing. You'd think after being together that long a sane individual would really think hard about this and not dive into such a decision. She's been thinking about it for some time.

TarieBoo 2

op "please dont leave me!!....im pregnant" husband "haha yeah right ive heard that lie before" ._.

Feedmyaddiction5 14

Not sure if this is an fml or ydi

cradle6 13

How old were you when you got married? That's so strange

peachesncreem 21

I was wondering the same thing. I kept trying to do the maths.. I know women don't like sharing their real age but how old are you OP?

TarieBoo 2

i know right? but if op say were married at age 20ish then she'd be around 40ish and my mom just had a baby at 40._.

How are you guys doing math, or saying she was married around 20 and would be about forty now, or anything like that? There is no indication at all of her age haha, she couldve been married at 20, divorced and pregnant by 23

45- "...my husband of 20 years." That is how they are doing math.

It says her husband of 20 years... She may have married at 18 or something and I know a few mom's who are in their late 30's.

Touché. Haha the sad part is I even re read it to make sure I wasn't missing anything but I still brilliantly skimmed over that key information

My mum had me when she was 40, idk I don't find it that strange

^ I lurked you and your 'about me' its pretty great.

Because she's says she was divorcing her husband of 20 years. So how could she be married at 20 and divorced by 23. That's not 20 years! How are you doing your math ?

jojimugo 20

My bet she got married at 18 she is now 38 and pregnant , like you guys I focussed more on the the age than the story

TxCountryBeauty 10

Idk about Florida but in Texas you can't legally get a divorce if you're pregnant... If its already finalized it doesn't matter but it won't be finalized during the pregnancy

I don't think that's the case in fl. Not a good law at all. It could be putting the child in a bad situation, making a mother stay in an abusive one, or even people choosing options they don't want to to get out of a bad marriage.

TheDrifter 23

No, it's to avoid messy lawsuits later. If the paperwork is put off until the child is born and it's his, they do child support and alimony at the same time. If its not, adultery is grounds for uncontested divorce with no alimony paid, though he will likely end up paying child support until his appeal is heard or the real father is found, whichever comes first. Its a fairly efficient system.

TxCountryBeauty 10

Well the woman can leave the situation at any time they just can't get a divorce. They also want to wait until after the baby comes because during pregnancy woman's hormones are a bit irrational and they might hate each other but only during that point of time. So the laws also in place just in case they stop fighting after the pregnancy is over and still decide to be together.

NumberOCD 2

You just made the biggest mistake in your life. It will be demoted to the second biggest in nine months.

I don't know whether to congratulate you on your new motherhood or hug you for the circumstance..

I think both would work... But seriously FYL OP