By gonebabygone - 27/08/2009 06:58 - United States

Today, I discovered that my parents rooted through our house looking for junk to sell at a garage sale. They sold all of my books from my bookshelf. When I freaked, out my mom said 'well you never read them'. There was about $300 hidden between the pages of those books. They made $60. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 207
You deserved it 9 537

Same thing different taste

Top comments

$60 will cover a shovel, duct tape, a large knife, and some trash bags... all with enough left over to go out and have a couple beers.

How could someone possibly deserve this? Despite your opinion on how to store your money, her mother had no right to root through a house that didn't belong to her and take items without permission. File a police report for burglary. This is flat out theft.

Comments

that's lame. I'd be pissed. Take all of their stuff and sell it on amazon. Or put everything outside while they're at work and offer it free on craigslist.

BananikaND 0

I will never understand these posts about parents going through their kids' stuff. My parents have never done that to me and would always ask before selling ANY of my stuff...whether I used it or not. I will also never understand the idiots telling this person that they deserve it for hiding their money in a book. I actually think it's a brilliant idea. That is the last place I would think to look. Plus, it was only $300. In all honesty, it's not THAT much cash to have hidden...especially in case of an emergency.

Courtnaayy 0

YDI it. Banks are the way to go.

There's always money in the banana stand.....anyone?

Mate, put it this way... It could have been much worse. You could have done what lots of people done, and cut out sections of the books to store weed, or beer in a hipflask. I'm guessing the garage sale was attended by neighbours, who would have possibly gone straight back to your parents. $300 is not such a huge amount of money any way. Look at what it gets you in the modern world. I went out the other night, up to the city, and have managed to spend £200. I only really have a couple of shirts to show for it. Just tell your parents what's happened. They should really have checked with you first, before rooting through your stuff to sell it. Bear in mind, that your 'rents can actually open an account, in their name, but for you. When you're 18, or 21 depending on where you are, the account gets transferred into your name. You can't access it, but they can, and then they can put that money away for you, and if needs be, can take money out for you too. Maybe next time, you won't be so stupid to leave $300 lying around in some books. You could quite as easily had a wallet, or a box, kept in a drawer in your room, with that money in it. Hindsight is a wonderful thing huh? The only reason I can see for you not doing so, is that you "acquired" that money in a less-than-legal way, that you don't want your parents to know about. In that case, you should really have been less stupid with it, and hidden it somewhere else (under the carpet, floorboards, mattress etc...)

you people are crazy. what would someone under the age of 12 being doing with $300? If they're rolling in the dough like that, they should have a bank account. no excuses. my parents put everything in a bank for me. and since when can you not take money out of a savings account when you're under 18? how could any 16 year ould EVER buy their own car if they didn't have some sort of bank account? Do you think they all pay in cash? also, i severely doubt that this person is THAT YOUNG. i mean, look at the way they write. it's not like it's complex or anything, but i have trouble imagining an 8 year old writing like this on the internet. IDK, it just doesn't seem to fit. yeah YDI. That happened to me when i was 8, but it was only like $12. and i deserved it. and i learned not to do that anymore. hope they at least gave you the $60 though.

Kttttt 0

I had over $1300 at the age of 12. 3 years later, I now have over $3500. I had money at the age of 12 because I knew how to handle it, should I not have? I also keep some of my money in a few books so they get traight and I wont have to worry about misplacing my money. And I have a pile of $300 in my room and an extra few hundred in a book. Its not very unusaul.

After I read this, I took my emergency $50 out of my copy of "007: Nightfire"

This isn't really a YDI about not hiding money safely this is an FYL about parents who sold his things without asking, which is tantamount to theft.

doggie3 0

YDI for putting your money in an unsate place.