By fat teen - 05/06/2016 23:33 - United Kingdom - Leeds

Today, I decided to get back in shape so I went swimming. I only managed 10 lengths and was completely out of breath. I was so embarrassed that when a lifeguard asked me if I was OK, I made up a story about a leg injury as a reason to leave only 15 minutes after I got in. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 524
You deserved it 2 323

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It's perfectly fine. Just remember it is going to take you some time to get back in to things especially with more vigorous exercises like swimming. Wish you the best of luck with getting back into shape.

10 lengths? That's pretty good! I would be tired after 10 lengths as well. Next time maybe after the 10 lengths take a break to catch your breath and do another 10 lengths. Never give up. Never back down. You can do it bro!

Comments

That's nothing to be ashamed of! In the start your condition has to build up and you have to work on your technique. The first time I picked up swimming I couldn't even do one lap (25 metres)! After a couple of years I started competition swimming. Just keep up the good work and try challenging yourself every time! :)

People don't know the beginning is the worst part? Your body will hate you and you will hate the world. Endurance gets better with strong will. It's the same logic as if you haven't played guitar in 5 years then get angry at yourself that you don't have the coordination to play the piano.

Nah, don't sweat it. As a swimmer, that's a lot more tiring than it looks. You're good

Try using every second length as a recovery length. Do your first length as front crawl, then do your second as breast stroke. When you get to the tenth length pause until you catch your breath and start again. There is also the fact that swimming is very strenuous if you don't use the correct technique. Some of the "cheating" ways of swimming can actually make it more difficult to swim distance than it would be if you did the technique properly to begin with. (For example, swimming with your head out the water during breast stroke.). Basically what happens is that your body is less streamlined than it should be. If you are struggling to do one set of ten lengths, it is probably your technique rather than your fitness level. Ten lengths of an average sized swimming pool is roughly 200m. Anyone with the correct swimming technique could do that.

You have nothing to get embarrassed about. Getting back in shape is tough, especially at first. It took me months before I could do even an hour of exercising. Just keep going, you'll get there! :)

Hey, don't be ashamed! It's good that you're getting back in there and do something for yourself. Being out of breath after 10 lengths isn't necessarily bad, especially if you didn't warm up properly. Try taking a small break (maybe a minute or two) after every other length - the latest when you realise you're slowly getting winded! Make sure to take these breaks regularly in the beginning of your training session. It will help tremendously and once you properly get warmed up, you'll be surprised by how many lengths you're actually able to swim without breaks...even if you're not in shape!

OMGITSTANA 15

ATLEAST U WENT WHO CARES IF UR OUT OF SHAPE U WENT AN UR TRYING THATS ALL THAT MATTERS

Nace_fml 1

That's 10 lengths more than the day before. Good job OP, keep at it :)

slowly and steady you will overcome everything... well almost!

Quick thinking, but the more you go back, the longer it'll be before you get winded. May have to make up some other excuse if fear of the lifeguard judging you bothers you that much. Maybe just treading water would be more your speed. Or you could do a few laps, stop and take a breather, and do a few more. That works, too.