By Anonymous - 06/11/2015 21:23 - Canada - Edmonton

Today, I asked my school counselor in strict confidence for advice on how to help a friend of mine, who has bulimia. When I got home, I found out that "someone" had called my parents and told them that I'm bulimic. They won't believe the truth. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 712
You deserved it 1 649

Same thing different taste

Top comments

lexiieeex3 32

I hate how it's become such a cliche that if you go to someone to help a friend they automatically assume it's you.

Go to your school counselor and talk about why he sucks.

Comments

The school counselor should only be spoken to regarding academic issues. They can, will, and DO report anything you say to parents or authorities.

Yes, teachers and counselors are mandated reporters, but why would you discourage people from seeking help they may need from people they trust? It backfired in OP's case, but I've filed abuse reports and I know many students who were able to get help for drug, alcohol, or eating disorders because they talked to a guidance counselor or teacher. If you feel like you need help, but don't know where to go, you should absolutely talk to a teacher or guidance counselor.

So the counselor thought you might be bulimic and figured the best way to handle it was to call your parents and tell them over the phone? I would have thought arranging a meeting with all 3 of you present would have been more appropriate

i thought they had to inform the higher authorities if they thought you were in danger, but they had to tell you they were doing that?

It depends on what school counselor's education level or actual title is... if he or she is a psychologist, than generally the obligation is to report someone in cases of potential harm to others, or in the case of OP, self harm as a minor.. based on the reaction though, I doubt the counselor is a psychologist, so I don't think they have the same confidentiality law to uphold... either way, I don't think the counselor is obliged to tell OP that they are going to tell someone (although for the record, I do think the counselor handled this completely wrong)

I'm not really sure, I thought that was the case as well but I told my counselor I was suffering with eating disorders and she didn't report me or call my parents. Just talked to me regularly and helped me find a therapist and groups. And I was severely anorexic/bulimic, was close to dying and had been through cardiac arrest but my parents were in extreme denial and didn't get me help.

#32 I'm really glad you got help and support. I am so sorry about your parents and that you had to go through all that. How are you now?

If you wish to keep something truly confidential then keep it to yourself.

feisty_backfired 11

You should know by now to NOT go to the school for anything...

I had issues with my school counsellor. Everytime I was having a bad day at school, this one teacher would call the counsellor, who would then call my dad. I don't know what their issues was, but my dad was usually the reason I was in a bad mood to begin with since we basically hated each other. My counsellor also tried admitting me to a physc ward because apparently I was 'too angry'

You should sue them. Trust me I'm no friend if sueing people but we need to get rid of people that are obligated to be silent but aren't. Personally I dont care about the intentions.

You can't sue someone for not being silent if they have no obligation to be silent.. granted, the school counselor handled this terribly, but while counselors often take confidentiality very seriously, they do not have the same obligation to keep confidentiality that psychologists do

Confidentially can be broken if they think that someone is going to harm themselves or others. Since eating disorders pose a serious health risk to those who suffer from it, intervention is necessary. What they did sucks, but did not violate any agreements and is not illegal.

The thing about mandatory reporting is that you need solid evidence of actual or impending harm to self or others, for which this particular person had none - only a hunch that friend = self, which makes their actions unprofessional, were they an actual registered counsellor/psychologist that could get them unregistered and possibly banned from getting another licence for a long time, if ever.

55—I don't think you know the criteria for mandatory reporting. In the US, at least, if a teacher/counselor/school personnel has a *reasonable suspicion*, they are obligated to report it. They are never supposed to investigate or interfere with police/courts/medical professionals. Mandatory reporters are not required to provide evidence of any kind. Forcing teacher/counselors/school personnel to investigate and provide evidence would defeat the purpose that mandatory reporting is trying to achieve, as well as cause unnecessary legal complications.

Just saying, but you should tell the counselor who your friend is so they can get help. It sucks that happened to you, but the most important thing in this situation is your friend. Eating disorders are the #1 cause of death in people with mental disorders, and bulimics can have heart attacks at any weight without warning because vomiting makes you really dehydrated and messes up your electrolyte levels. Eating disorders are also EXTREMELY difficult to treat and almost impossible to treat without outside help. It's completely worth it for you to tell, yes your friend might be mad at first but who cares? Is that really worth their life? Wishing you luck

Confidentially is null and void if they think you will do harm to yourself or others. Likely they thought you being bulimic was harming yourself and took action that way. Although, it definitely sucks that they did that, at least you have people who are concerned about your safety. However, I personally don't think it was the best thing to do and I hope your friend gets the help they need.