By compguy - 25/02/2010 15:39 - United States

Today, I applied and was accepted for a part-time network engineering position. Being contract work they asked me what I charge. I replied, "$12 an hour." After a look of surprise they accepted me for the position and said, "Our last guy charged $200 an hour, you're a bargain." FML
I agree, your life sucks 17 618
You deserved it 34 899

Same thing different taste

Top comments

How do you be in a position like that and not know how much your competitors are charging?

what the hell do you do that $200/hour is an acceptable pay rate? I need to get into that field

Comments

raithex 0

You should've asked what the average pay is for that job. Yeah, it sucks that you're not getting as much as you could, but it's absolutely your fault. YDI.

billyH 0

Engineers usually make about 100K or 50/hr. How could you be so far off to think 12/hr was reasonable?

If you are competent then you will be able to make a name for yourself as being cheap and good at what you do, and slowly increasing your wages until it's at a more appropriate figure whilst still being value for money. However how you can be competent at what you do when you haven't even been bothered to research the kind of money that most would be willing to pay/be paid, I don't know. But, at least you have work.

You'll make about $7/hour after tax(contract work doesn't pay into withholding) The 1099 they send you at the end of the year gets sent to the IRS too, if the pay is not under the table.

dugumit 0

jaysus you charged $12p/hr either this is your first job and u don't know shit or u don't know shit period. you should at least be charging minimal $45-75 p/hr part time contract depending on your qualifications.

captainmaharet 1

Moron. Contract work isn't the same as flipping burger work, but now we know what your real talent is.

While you don't deserve this, it is kinda your fault. I'm not an engineer, but even I know engineer contractors charge an arm and a leg. I got paid better than $12/hour for my admin position. You shoulda researched the market first to see what other people in similar positions charged.

Duuuude you are a NETWORK ENGINEER WTF? 12/hour??????? u are so dumb YDI People get paid that much for Garbage cleaning and stuff YDI again!