By compguy - 25/02/2010 15:39 - United States

Today, I applied and was accepted for a part-time network engineering position. Being contract work they asked me what I charge. I replied, "$12 an hour." After a look of surprise they accepted me for the position and said, "Our last guy charged $200 an hour, you're a bargain." FML
I agree, your life sucks 17 618
You deserved it 34 899

Same thing different taste

Top comments

How do you be in a position like that and not know how much your competitors are charging?

what the hell do you do that $200/hour is an acceptable pay rate? I need to get into that field

Comments

You're obviously not qualified as a network engineer. There's no way you could actually be trained for the position, and be competent at it, and grossly misjudge the going rate. Sounds to me like you're a high-school or college computer geek with a few CompTIA and Microsoft certs who is doing part time computer repair and maintenance for a small local business, not as a career. They were probably hiring someone with a degree and a lot of experience for $200, but their needs are probably just simple small networks and maybe an Active Directory domain, which is something you don't need a degree, extensive training, or a lot of experience to handle.

2bobbybowdens 0

Well it's a mistake you won't make again. And you'll probably get a reputation for great value if you make a good job of it so you can work your price up and still never be out of work

I know, right? Your mum makes more than that on the streets! *This is becoming too easy*... (like your mum)

you are a moron, you say what do you think is fair. probably wouldve shit yourself and gave it away when they said something like 150 an hour but at least you wouldve had a shot. idiot.

nyynkss91 0

your a f'in moron!! I do the same work and charge 150hr. if you even came to me about work and said said 12hr i'd tell you there's the door and have a great day. because you obsouly don't know what your doing.

ALWAYS say you'll charge more than you really would. then if they say that someone else will do it, lower your bid.

Maplewood 0

He probably WAS saying more than he would work for. He'd have probably been happy with $9/hr.

There's a couple thousand guys in India who would be willing to charge $4 and hour for the same work. Sad, but true.

$12 an hour? You're barely making minimum wage. You realize you'll have to pay taxes on this, right? You'll be paying your income tax, medicare, social security, local, as well as the employer's portion of the social security for being self-employed. YDI for not thinking this through and understanding what the job actually pays. Lie that you have something else and move on. Your opportunity cost (the amount of money you risk losing while taking a lower-value position) is more than you'd make taking a $12 per hour gig.

wait, barely minimum wage? in the us, federal minimum wage is $7.25. he's well above minimum wage, although he won't be making nearly as much as he could

rockstatic 0

Yeah, look for new work, and charge $150 in the future. A month from now, whether you find work or not, say "yeah, I followed up on what you said, and I'm getting some other offers for $150 an hour. I'd rather stay with you guys. How's $150?" If they say no, tell them it's still cheaper than their previous guy.

They won't accept an offer that is 10x what he already asked. They can go get a guy much more qualified (he didn't even know going rates) and experienced in the field for that. The guy making 200 an hour very well could be extremely qualified.