By Anonymous - 18/02/2011 21:36 - United States

Today, after volunteering all day at the homeless shelter, I was mugged on my way to my car. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 971
You deserved it 3 571

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Acousticpixie14 6

No good deed goes unpunished. Sad, but true.

I fail to see how this is an example of karma.

Comments

How do I know what circumstances you were born into? Because you are obviously well-off enough now to believe that homeless people deserve theirs. Even if you were born into homelessness yourself and worked hard from the day you were born to get yourself out of it, the fact you managed to is a privilege many homeless people do not have, based off of opportunities and resources available to you that are not available to many homeless people. Therefore, you were born into a position of privilege, even if it happens to be less privilege than another. I, too, was born into a position of privilege. What position is that? My family was in poverty when I was born. We only managed to work ourselves out of this situation by a combination of good luck (if either of my parents ever got laid off in the first decade of my life we would have likely become homeless ourselves before much longer) and the generosity of other people. Today I stand before you college educated and brinking somewhere between middle-middle and upper-middle class. I recognise the privilege I was born into every day of my life. Is that real enough for you? Because, trust me, it is all too real to me. And, just as one amazingly simple counterexample, what if my parents did get laid off and we ended up homeless? There I'd be, not even 10, not even able to affect my station in life, and already homeless. What choice did I make that would have led me there? Most homeless people come from similar situations: they're born into a poor life. Even if they get the chance to work and have a steady income it is often not even enough to maintain a healthy life, let alone enough to save anything in case of emergency. And then the layoffs come, or the rent goes up, or something else that is a minor setback to the middle class with savings, and suddenly they're homeless. Please, tell me what choices they can make differently to prevent this because, if you can answer that you can end poverty right now. But, you know, it's ironic how you think *I'm* the one without real-world experience.

Lol my posts get taken off almost instantly..,

ImLizAndImBored 0

the things people get when there trying to help..

An education doesn't guarantee you a job, especially if you are already poor, especially homeless. In fact, a number of homeless people actually did complete high school. Simply coming from a poor home puts you at a number of disadvantages in school, anyway, making the entire thing more difficult (and not in a "if you just work harder" sort of way so much as a "good luck ever overcoming *that*" sort of way) to the point where your education might not mean a damn thing in getting you a job. And that's assuming it's even a viable option. If your family, including yourself and your siblings, is starving while you're busy going to school, you think it's a better option to continue going to school and letting everyone starve? The only sensible thing at that point actually is to drop out and work just to make enough money to live. Think I'm being unrealistic? Maybe you should talk to a homeless person once in a while. You'll find it pretty common that an education hasn't helped get them out of that state or that they had to give up their education if they wanted to continue living. You'll also find that most people who end up getting themselves out that situation do so more out of the generosity of others and not for any hard work on their own part (which is not to say they aren't working hard!). You know the solution for getting people out of this mess? Helping them. For every bum you find who'll spend any dollar they get on booze and blow you'll find twenty homeless people who are earnestly trying to get themselves a better hand than life dealt them. Equal opportunity is a great ideal, but unless you already have the ability to live and self-sustain, equal opportunity simply does not exist.. Open your eyes to the real world and you'll see that, while your hard work isn't negligible, your good fortune is a far bigger piece of why you're not on the streets yourself.

ohthebloodygore 16

For bollocks sake. Belt up and piss off.

sailorzoe 14
yesiyes 0

what about the homeless that are mentally ill? They dont deserve it.