By w-dog - 24/08/2009 17:33 - Canada

Today, after spending $15,000 to treat my dog's cancer over the past two months, he died of kidney failure. FML
I agree, your life sucks 60 632
You deserved it 19 807

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Boo ******* hoo, some guy took his own hard earned money and paid for something they care about's health instead of listening to some dumb **** on the internet and giving it to charity. What about people who spend hundreds of thousands more to buy a bigger house, even though they don't really a house that big? Shouldn't they have given their money to charity? What about billionaires who spend their money on playboy bunny slaves? How many little African kids would you save if he gave all his money to charity? Face it you dumb *****, giving your money to charity is an option, stop making it seem like this guy was obligated to do it just because he spent money on his dog. You know what else people do? They spend loads of money buying food for their dogs! And pfft, we ALL know dogs don't need food! They should have spend that money on some poor kids in Africa with AIDS to let them live a few more days even though they're already on death row because no amount of money even in your stupid ******* idealistic bubble could save them all. Grow the **** up.

Comments

So sorry for your loss. BUT... As much as we love our dogs, we must be allow ourselves to let them go when it's time. Your dog's time was two months ago. All that money could have helped rescues and saved many dog lives. Instead, your dog suffered 2 months longer than he should have. No, you don't deserve a dead dog. But your dog didn't deserve to die a horrible death from chemo either.

I'm so sorry about your dog. Having had two dogs die, I know how much it hurts.

kapowi 0

See, this is why the human race disgusts me. 15k on a dog is ridiculous. If it's suffering that much, you should have just put it down. In reality, you merely made it suffer more, so YDI for sure. And, to all of you disgusting people saying "oh well if you'd spend 15k on a person and not a dog, then you're totally stupid" : Pets > People That may have sounded harsh, but to you idiots you need to be harsh. If I had to choose whether to spend 15k on my dying dog, or on my dying child, guess which one I'd spend it on. In case you're incredibly daft and can't answer it, I'd spend it on my dying child. You guys all remind me of Paris Hilton (and boy does it kill me to use that reference). Yes, pets are important, but seriously what the ****. They are a part of the family, but your actual HUMAN family is more important. Would you allow your dog to sit at the dining table and eat dinner with you? How about go to school with your kids? Oh, I forgot, they CAN'T. Pets needs should be met, yes, but 15k should not be spent on them. How about putting that away, oh I don't know, for the family that will be around longer, and will be more beneficial for? Idiots. OP: You really shouldn't have put your dog through all of that suffering, so I'm going to have to say YDI. However, as a pet owner myself, I know how much it sucks to lose one. So I'm sorry for your loss, but that's about it.

What are you his mother? How do you know what financial position he's in? Also please, learn to use the > and < signs properly. :)

kapowi 0

The financial position isn't even relevant. The fact that he'd spend that much just to make his SUFFERING dog live longer is disgusting. Dogs are only going to live as long as they are able to, and if it's suffering, it's better for the dog if you put it down. Think about it. If you're surviving off tubed air and nourishment, would you want to suffer like that for a stretched period of time, or just die, and end the suffering.

Oh wow you're not just a twat but a tool. How can you say the financial position isn't relevant? He knows what he is able to do with his money or not and how much he has to spend on it, ain't it a bit judgmental and control-freakish for you, some stranger on the internet to declare what he can or can't do with his money and how well-spent or not it is? You don't know shit about the details of the dog, this man's financial position, the doctor's advice or anything, yet you're drawing conclusions that he is oh so disgusting to do what he thinks is best for his own damn pet? Manage your own finances, mind your own business and handle your OWN money in your own way and there's no problem but for you to be determining how other people should spend their own earnings is.. wow. Just beyond. I have lived all my life with at least one pet and we spend well over 20K every single year in making them comfortable and happy, and yes, treating them when they get sick like they deserve to be cared for by any responsible pet owner.. Wanna manage my finances too and call me disgusting as well? I take it back, you don't have any balls, your problem is an utter and complete lack of common sense or respect.

Zelz 0

Kapowi, It's people like YOU who disgust me. You know absolutely nothing about the OP, so how can you tell him how much money to spend on a pet? You don't know if he has children or a spouse. Maybe he doesn't have any immediate family. If he DID have a dying child, I would see your point. But does he? You don't know. You are better than some of the other "YDI" commenters in that you used actual logic in your response, but you're just as bad because of your insensitivity and need to insult the other commenters who have sympathy for the OP. Unless you know the OP personally (which of course you don't, seeing what you said in your comment), you have absolutely no right to say "what the ****" to his decisions to try to save an animal which obviously meant a lot to him. Try having some sympathy or sensitivity or even some tact next time. OP, while $15,000 is a lot of money, I likely would have done the same thing. I'm terribly sorry for your loss.

I like how everyone is assuming the OP couldn't afford to easily pay this money behind his dog. Where in the OP did he say "I denied myself food or my family health care to see after my dog"?? He could very well be filthy rich and yes, rich people DO worry about money too. After all you don't get rich by throwing money away. And no, the money was not spent badly, it's the OP's money, not yours and he may spend it however he pleases :) I love how the internet gives people so many extra pairs of balls to jump and judge every single thing they see.

kapowi 0

Actually, I'd say it to the OP's face as well, if I knew them. Stop being an idiot and assuming everyone is growing a pair of balls on the internet, I'm pretty sure I don't have any.

oh seriously, did I address you in particular? Did I reply to your comment with this one? So why are you singling this one out to tell me to 'stop being an idiot bawww' when it's no case except you obviously know to yourself you're at fault here for the very same thing I've mentioned? Pathetic :]

bury it in the yard and get a new one

That really sucks, losing a pet is really hard, I know, I've lost one before. But this is kind of a lesson in not playing God. As well as putting your dog through treatments that can't be pleasant for him at all, and if he had kidney failure -and- cancer, chances are he wasn't going to last long anyways. I'm sorry for your loss, but death happens, we have to deal with it and move on. I'm also sorry for the money you wasted to try to get your dog healthy again.

jackassx4x 0

#183 your the reason why im disgusted at the human race dont you have anything better to do than type huge ass responses to fmls all day?

OP, ignore 183, he's an insensitive prick. Anyway, sorry about your dog mate, RIP. In response to all the YDI, guys, it's HIS hard earned money, he can spend it on what he likes. You make so many decisions about what this guys life is, its possible he doesn't have kids to spend the money on, or maybe he's got enough money that he can spend 15k on the dog. Either way, you can't say that he deserves it because he chose to spend his money in that way... to some people, yeah, 15k on a dog would be stupid. But to others, it isn't. The one problem with this site is that there are people who will say YDI to anything because when you think about anything a certain way, you can pin it on someone. These people really show that they have issues much deeper than simply being dicks. I won't say 183 is one, as he actually has some logic behind his response, but it doesn't mean it holds true to you or your situation. In any case, fyl man.

For all of you who say I was nuts to spend the money on the cancer treatment (which was a successful surgery to remove a tumour) this was the 4th time I spent more than $10,000 on the dog for a total during his life of somewhere between $50,000-$60,000. To the commenter who suggested that $15,000 could be used to retire someone's medical debt, it doesn't exist here in Canada (and most of the industrialized world). Medical debt is mostly a product of America's barbaric and antiquated healthcare system. Yes the surgery was hard on my dog but, it was successful and he was recovering. In the days before his eventual passing he was jogging with me again. When I decided on the surgery my options were to put my dog down then or try the surgery and if it was successful give him a few more years of health and happiness. If at any point I thought he was suffering beyond reason I would have put him down and when it became apparent that he was suffering and there was no hope of recovery I did have him put down. But if you gave me the same options again, a choice between putting him down or several more years of good health and happiness after a little suffering, I'll take the surgery every time. Had I known his kidneys were going to fail I obviously would have skipped the surgery since all it did really was cause him unnecessary suffering. I loved my dog and spent as much time with him as I could. I know some of you think I'm crazy for doing what I did since he was only a dog. Frankly I think you're all conceited and narrow and I pity you. I could not live with myself if someone asked me if I did everything I could for my dog and I couldn't answer yes.

I don't think you're crazy. We've spent a lot of money on our elderly cat, and he's pudgy and happy as a clam. People who claim your animal was suffering because you were trying to treat it's condition are stupid. If the dog gets a cold, should you make it go through the horrible flu shot pain or put it down? Really... cancer is a bit different, but the point remains they didn't know you or your dog.