By SFBEL - 21/05/2015 03:56 - Belgium - Leuven

Today, after being a resident DJ at a local club for over 4 years, I got fired. Not because I'm bad at what I do, but because my boss thinks I'm not 'having fun like the other DJs'. And by 'having fun' he means that I don't drink enough. I got fired for not being an alcoholic. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 681
You deserved it 2 142

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I don't drink much either and a lot of times people don't think Im having fun at parties because of it. I can sympathize with you here, you don't have to get wasted to have some fun.

the dj's that play when i go clubbing, mostly drink energydrinks or water :s like normal people, i wouldent drink while working :)

Comments

nityasomaiya 46

Well, why in the world would refuse an offer like that? Paid to drink, dream job :P

It's a lot more work than that, trust me. A DJ should never be drunk in the booth, you need full coordination skills to play or mix the music.

You can't be fired for that, threaten to sue for wrongful termination.

noonenoeone 22

You can be fired for not performing well and since it appears OP was not having fun as a DJ that would translate to not doing his job well. The DJ should not be some guy sulking on his laptop, he should be the personality of the club. Perhaps OP should pull the stick out of their ass, have a drink, and drop some molly!

AdamTB 26

#16 And how do you know that he's not having fun? Alcohol and drugs do not equate to fun, and thinking that you need to be drunk or high to have a good time is rather dangerous thinking.

#16 you have problems if you seriously think that someone can only have fun or be the life of the party if they are drunk or on drugs, that tells me that you aren't that mature if that's what your really think, because I know for a fact that just because you are drunk does not mean you are automatically having fun. I know I can have more than enough fun without bring drunk or on something.

Grats, #16, you just said that someone who needs as much coordination to do their job well needs to get drunk, which would reduce their coordination. OP doesn't have a stick up anything, they're a professional doing a professional job. A job that can be very fun on its own merits. If you need to get drunk to have fun, you've got a serious problem and need some help. Preferably from a secular, non-religious source.

noonenoeone 22

OP you're in Belgium just go get some of that $10 a gram molly y'all supply the world with and live it up!

Wrong country... Close, but no sigar. Or, pill, in your case.

Cigar. If you're going to correct someone at least spell right.

noonenoeone 22

It's made throughout the EU...

Working as a musician I sometimes get on the bad side of bar owners for not drinking while I am working. I honestly think they don't like it because they want to make some money back by me drinking.

That was my first thought. If you drink £€$100 a night that's a fair chunk back to them.

That's stupid. Consuming alcohol while working is never a good practice

Ridiculous. since when does alcohol equal fun. most people do their jobs better when not drunk and not acting like idiots. with your experience though, hopefully you can find a new, better job quickly.

This is why wrongful termination suits were created.

As a recovering alcoholic, I say, "Keep up the good work!"