By halza - 30/05/2016 11:03 - New Zealand - Christchurch

Today, after a long 16 hour shift, I was milliseconds from sleep when my girlfriend said she "wants to talk". I'm now writing this from the couch. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 416
You deserved it 973

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Your girlfriend needs to work on timing. That wasn't a very good time to bring up a topic that seems to have been controversial between you two. On the bright side, at least now you can sleep on the couch.

Dos she often refer to herself in the third person? If so, you might've dodged a bullet.

Comments

Dos she often refer to herself in the third person? If so, you might've dodged a bullet.

For those wondering why this was upvoted, the FML originally read: Today, after a long 16 hour shift, I was milliseconds from sleep when my girlfriend said "she wants to talk". I'm now writing this from the couch. FML After playing a bit of spot-the-difference, you too can smirk slightly at the inane comment I made!

Ever since you successfully captioned that one picture fml ive been seeing you everywhere dude lol

Sounds like the frequency illusion (Baader-Meinhof phenomenon) which is a cognitive bias where you seem to see something more frequently after becoming familiar with it. Despite the fact that I've been commenting regularly for much longer than that photo FML went up, you only recently became aware of my username or picture, and now you seem to see me everywhere. Brains are weird, eh?

Yea that is strange. Sounds like exactly what you're talking about.

I've seen Tripartita around for a while, always making hilarious comments. He's a bloody genius.

I've seen Tripartita around for a while, always making hilarious comments. He's a bloody genius.

I've seen Tripartita around for a while, always making hilarious comments. He's a bloody genius.

Your girlfriend needs to work on timing. That wasn't a very good time to bring up a topic that seems to have been controversial between you two. On the bright side, at least now you can sleep on the couch.

She needs to talk, but after a 16hr shift, does she think you can properly listen?

saffy66 34

Maybe she should have gone to sleep on the couch instead. She sounds somewhat selfish.

Mathalamus 24

i would have asked her to wait until after i was done sleeping (or resting), then i would listen to her hearts content. or, i would suck it up and listen anyway, telling her that i may not be in top form, due to the long shift.

I'd say ignore her and get some well-deserved sleep. Tell her you'll see her tomorrow.

Those are words no one wants to hear from their significant other.

Your comment is quite stupid. Aggression does not have to be directed at members of the opposite sex.

Sanguinairius 33

I've never understood the making someone sleep on the couch shenanigans. I was always told never go to bed angry, but I have never been made, nor ever made my other sleep elsewhere, if they didn't want to. Being emotionally upset and irritable is no excuse to cast someone out. Plus, most of the times one lays down instead of leaving, even if you lay in the quiet and give each other the silent treatment, by morning, there's a higher chance you'll have spoken about it or cooled off. Better still, You make-up by realizing despite being mad, or your wounded pride, you still love the insufferable twit. Even while you glare daggers at their back, before long you end up cuddling and muttering apologies to each other. These are of course best case scenarios, I just don't see the reasoning for either party pulling such a tactic unless there's aggression or violence. TL;DR: Your GF and you need to work on communication. Goodluck!