By notlaughing - 18/04/2013 13:57 - United States - College Park

Today, a girl was telling me how she was very stressed over her parents' divorce and moving away to another part of the state. While I was listening, I started choking on my saliva. She thought I was laughing. She hasn't spoken to me since. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 124
You deserved it 7 293

Same thing different taste

Top comments

As someone who regularly chokes on their own saliva, I feel your pain. FYL

Don't get all choked up over this, OP. Things will get better soon.

Comments

BellaBelle_fml 23

I am finding it hard to believe that there are so many people commenting here that have never accidentally choked on their own saliva before. Or have never even heard of that happening to someone else before. It's actually quite commonplace. Although, technically it isn't really choking. When one truly chokes they cannot talk, breath, or make any noises whatsoever. It has been played up with noises for a more dramatic effect in movies, TV shows, and theatre. And that's why so many people think that you actually make those noises commonly associated with choking. Anyways, sometimes if you haven't been talking or eating, and have had your mouth closed for a while, the saliva will start to sort of pool near the back of your mouth close to the throat. And then, when you go to speak, the movement of your tongue causes the pooled saliva to slide backwards and down your throat. And that's when you 'choke' on your own saliva. You usually aren't expecting this to happen so it can take you off guard. There are some cases where you can actually tell that this is starting to happen but there's really nothing you can do to stop it. I really hope that this helped to clear things up a little for those who have never heard of this happening before.

Have you an excessive amount of saliva compared to most people??

BellaBelle_fml 23

But…how can you trick someone into talking to you when they won't talk to you? :/

olpally 32

Bellabelle, Some of these comments are very stupid on this one. Common sense isn't so common I guess. Good points you made though.

BellaBelle_fml 23

You are, rather unfortunately as well as irritatingly, correct. Thank you! It's always nice to see someone else agreeing with your comments. And it's especially nice to see someone else actually compliment your comments. So, once again, thank you for your kind words. I appreciate you. (:

olpally 32

Not a problem Bellabelle! You've been spot on all night with the comments! You're welcome :)

why didn't you pipe up after the fact and clarify ?

You could have died and she wouldn't have saved you because she thought you were laughing!

DenBriZel 31