Thatcher, Thatcher, jungle canyon rope bridge snatcher!

By great idea - This FML is from back in 2013 but it's good stuff - Canada - Calgary

Today, my social studies teacher thought it would be a great idea to have a casual debate about Margaret Thatcher and her legacy. Within 10 minutes, the entire class was yelling, screaming, throwing stuff at each other. I got hit in the face with a binder. FML
I agree, your life sucks 41 842
You deserved it 3 960

Same thing different taste

Top comments

For a moment, I thought that said blender, FYL Op.

Soooo it's safe to say she's a sore subject?

Comments

Jeez, can't at least wait until the corpse is cold to argue over her life?

breezyblue33 19

Perhaps they were arguing about her real name? Harry Styles (1D) Tweeted condolences to "Baroness Thatcher" and someone compiled a pic of the fans' responses. Some idiot even said that her name was Market Thatcher. >_< It's so sad that in a world where technology is at our fingertips, many choose to remain ignorant. On a side note, I hope you're okay, OP.

joethebiden 8

On a positive note, Canadian schools seem to be teaching something if a whole class could get into a heated debate about a 1980s British prime minister. In America, they'd basically struggle to find Great Britain on a map or to name the current US president.

I assure you, every American student can name the current president. Where exactly are you getting your completely false generalizations?

Everyone looks at the worst from America, all the idiots are held to be the average citizen in other countries eyes. Yes, there are some people that can't find Great Britain on a map, but a majority can. Does everyone in Great Britain have the ability to point to the United States of America on a map? Finding some of something, in this example idiots, is not proof that the whole population is like that. It just means they exist. (Also why do people condemn other countries, not their own, for thinking things like the information that the other countries think every country should know, when those same people try to say that since it such an important part of their country's knowledge base it should be for everyone? It is wonderful hypocrisy.)

Also a "heated debate" does not mean an "informed debate." People that use the term heated debate often really mean arguing. Debates need logic, not just insults. For all we know, the OP's class became the real life equivalent of a Facebook political argument. (With both sides calling each other idiots for daring to think a certain way on a certain issue because it is just wrong and horrible to have the opposing view. Little to no facts are actually in these arguments either. More likely opinions and emotional outbursts are used as "proof.")

OP- You're lucky your teacher didn't include Reagan in the discussion.... that binder that hit you would have been a lacrosse stick!

TheyCallMeDamien 17

Ahh....the power of politics.

thegood1sRtaken 8

Keep it down? Although I disagree with almost all her policies passionately, if Thatcher's family and friends actually respected her WISHES (to have a PRIVATE funeral) then yes I would keep my mouth shut, but since taxpayers are funding her extravagant funeral if I see a party I'll toot my horn whilst driving past.

the_awesomest_ 6

This sounds like the way the English parliament does business in London lol

there is no English parliament. It's the UK parliament. Don't refer to England as the whole of the UK > . >