One track mind

By Old enough - 04/10/2023 06:00

Today, my mom won’t let me go to my boyfriend’s apartment. She says it’s because “I know what you guys are gonna do there I’m not stupid.” She threatened to kick me out of the house if I go. I’m 19. FML
I agree, your life sucks 635
You deserved it 326

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It's funny ur mom thinks she can stop that from happening but... Girl you better be on birth control and using condoms, cuz this is the prime time of age for accidents if ur not actively preventing Ye have been warned!

I'll bet you're going to eat candy and drink soda for meals. That's what you youngsters do without supervision, hah!

Comments

your boyfriend has an apartment, and you live at home. seems like there is an obvious solution

It's funny ur mom thinks she can stop that from happening but... Girl you better be on birth control and using condoms, cuz this is the prime time of age for accidents if ur not actively preventing Ye have been warned!

I'll bet you're going to eat candy and drink soda for meals. That's what you youngsters do without supervision, hah!

There are a variety of reasons to get a job and your own place once you can instead of being dependent on another person. This is one of them… By the way it’s ultimately just as difficult to be totally dependent on a boyfriend as on Mom… And I agree, you better be very, very careful or you will wind up with an unplanned pregnancy and doubly dependent on someone else. Mom knows this, but what she doesn’t realize is that sex is an important part of life for most adults and you cannot control another adult’s (or even an older teen’s) expression of that.

No problem. Get a job, find an apartment, buy a car, pay your own way in life then make your own rules.

I did some research/writing on this a while back for a project at University and recently watched a college professor do a presentation that confirmed my findings from years ago. Statistically you are less likely to get a divorce if you don't live together before you get married. I know that's an unpopular opinion today but it's backed up by science (research, and statistics). It's hard to know the exact reason we see this phenomenal but if I were to make a guess it would have to do with commitment and practice. Traditional wisdom would tell you you want to try something out before you buy it but that doesn't work in this case. I think what's going on is we're actually practicing not committing to a relationship and then you expect to change the relationship into a committed one. Often times people who live together imagine that marriage is just a paper that you sign and so have very little respect for the institution. That's actually an extremely shallow view. Marriage is actually way way more involved than that. If instead you decide to be committed then you practice being committed by not living together and not sleeping together before you get married. Practicing and practicing correctly help you develop the skills and mental stamina necessary for carrying out tasks. Someone who practices violin a lot makes playing look easy. It's not easy. They just worked hard at it. So practice being committed if you want the relationship to last. Then when you do get married you have been mentally prepared to keep your commitment. Hard times come to everyone and we need our partners to stick with us. Marriage is not all fun and games and neither is life in general. If you want commitment and you want someone to stick with you then act like it and find someone who thinks the same way.