Nice guy

By LucklessNiceGuy - 05/12/2011 07:22 - United States

Spicy
Today, I was fired from my job on account of "sexual harassment" toward female employees. The harassment? Jokingly offering them foot massages when they were complaining about how their feet ached after a long shift, and complimenting them about their appearance when they felt down. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 646
You deserved it 45 193

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Angelice_fml 0

Ouch, I'm really sorry. ): People take things too far these days.

drawmesunshine 17

Perhaps the male employees felt left out. Maybe at your next job, you should compliment their looks and offer them foot rubs, too. Think of this as a learning experience.

Comments

Hannah_grace1414 12

I'll take up at footrub offer..

Then he'd be looking at more legal problems.

Only in America I guess. Excessive reactions.

Ate you kidding me? So people never overreact anywhere else in the whole damn world? Interesting...

kairi920 0

Oh yes, this kind of thing only happens in America and nowhere else in this world, full of tons of people. I mean, what are the odds it would happen in any other country? Ok I'll turn my sarcasm off now.

It's true. I lived in new zealand and Australia and I have only seen that here. Sorry Americans who think it happens everywhere else too but people are raised different everywhere else.

I think to describe what you were doing as sexual harrassment is an over-reaction, but could you not tell you were making them uncomfortable? It must have happened quite a few times if you got fired over it. You must have noticed they seemed awkward when you did these things, and it's only polite to stop in that situation, regardless of whether or not you feel what you're doing is inappropriate,

Other wise they stick you in "Creeper" status

This. I assume that your collegues are not extremely close friends, which is the level at which I would accept a footrub joke from. That was way too intimate for what is probably only casual friends at best and its not professional in any case. It probably wasn't funny either.

Well I think they should have tried asking him to stop if it made them uncomfortable instead of just filing for harassment. And even then if they honestly think jokes and compliments are harassment, then they are idiot prudes. Though there is a chance that it was a third party observation rather than a complaint from the women.

There's a chance that they DID ask him to stop, and he kept going. Some people don't get that "I'm only joking!" is not a get-out-of-trouble-free card. Like my dad. We just tell him to shut up now.

I have worked and interned at places that laid out very clear sexual harassment policies. ANYTHING of a personal nature that makes another person uncomfortable is defined as sexual harassment. You can't get fired for one complaint. You get fired after numerous offenses, numerous complaints. The way this fml is worded, it sounds like op has been making multiple employees uncomfortable. It was awkward for them. It's unfortunate that op didn't realize how he was making them feel and that his intentions were harmless, but it's still a violation of standard sexual harassment policies in the workplace. Work is not the place to be offering foot rubs, end of story.

NullPointer 20

That isn't exactly a similar situation... someone making a joke and someone forcing themself on you are two different things, and not really similar at all.

Actually, it is similar. With people who don't understand other people's boundaries, and if people are being made uncomfortable they need to stop, it's a short leap from inappropriate speech to inappropriate touch, and he was already making the suggestion of inappropriate touch. I had a coworker at one point who was in a supervisory position who had repeatedly made inappropriate comments to females. He did so with me, too, and then he grabbed me by my wrists. After that he was let go.

13FMYLIFE 0

says the one whose face is painted like a vampire with blood dripping from her mouth... your ass would probably like to be sexually harassed (0.o)

123- Judging from your profile you're looking to get sexually harassed as well.

AndieAvacado 0

i dont see how that is sexual harrasment. but that blows OP. hope you can find a new and better job! keep ya head up :)

herpitydurteedur 0

When I was in grade shook, the whole sexual harassment thing started at school so nobody was allowed to come within 2 feet of eachother :/ no hugging, holding hands, nothing. It sucked.

Damn, in grade shook?! That had to be rough!

ninjuh_wingman 29

Complementing them on their appearanxe is one thing. I dont think you shoild be joking on giving them foot massages unless they want it because that can sound kind of creepy.

It depends on how it's said really. "oh man my feet are killing me.": "What are you telling me for, do you want a foot rub or something?" Vs "If you'd like, I could give you a personal foot massage." wink wink.

What you considered joking was clearly taken as creepy. Jobs really should give a warning first though.

leogirl95 12

Women overreact to everything.

braddah112233 1
contedefees 11
leogirl95 12

121- Proves my point... I was wrong in saying that women overreact to everything, but women do overreact to a lot of things. I think I can speak for my own sex here lol

FYLDeep 25

It's probably not what you said and more how you said it. For instance, if I tell a woman that she's looking good, there's no harm in that. But, If I tell her that she's looking good while sporting a raging hard-on, suddenly it falls into the domain of sexual harassment. Crazy, right?

every1luvsboners 11

Society is always trying to hold down the awkward boners. Damn them.

Unless he was wearing sweat pants to work I doubt that's was the issue.

Really depends how creepy you are about it. The two things you've described could be harassment if done in a certain way, or too often. And you say you were offering massages 'jokingly' now, but that is common AFTER a creepy guy gets told his attention is unwanted.