Mommy issues

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2009 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, as I was picking up my 7 year-old daughter at my ex-husband's house, my daughter started crying saying that she wanted to stay with Daddy forever. I asked why. She said her stepmom was a better mommy. Apparently, the woman who broke up my marriage is now a better "Mommy." FML
I agree, your life sucks 103 816
You deserved it 9 328

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sometimes kids play off on parent against the other to get stuff. You know, step mummy's better because she lets me eat fast food, watch tv late... or something to try and get you to do the same. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Comments

earth_mama02 0

Aw I'm sorry. :( I have two kids too who have a step-mom and I know how hard that kind of stuff is. I bet you're a great Mommy!!!

sneakersneaker 0

I wish I actually knew you so I could tell you face to face that it's eventually going to be okay. You have a responsibility to be a good mom to your daughter. Are you a good mom? If you're not sure or if you know you're not, GET to a therapist quickly to sort yourself out. You'll never regret doing that, because your child and you will be happier when you are all well. Now, you have to understand that children say things for the strangest reasons. If you know you're doing your job as a parent, just wait it out and get some really sound advice on how to deal with the crushed feelings a statement like that would produce. And love your baby and don't hold it against her. You can't possibly know what a manipulative cheater (the woman who broke up your marriage) would say to make a child react that way.

When my god daughter's parents broke up, her father and his parents spoiled her and her siblings. SPOILED them rotten. It was all well and good to buy them expensive gifts, let them watch TV until all hours, et cetera, when they were young and those things mattered. Their father was always the "better" parent and the "cool" parent, so they complained to their mom. Now, though, the three of them are in high school and college and realized how they, as children, were used as pawns in so very many ways just to get back at their mom for leaving a physically abusive relationship. Mom's suddenly the "strong" parent, the "role model" parent, the one to whom they look for guidance and wisdom. Dad? Eh, not so much. Hang in there and know that she doesn't know it hurts you. She's only seven and can't really wrap her head around others' feelings yet, let alone all the feelings stirred up by a divorce both in her heart and in yours.

AND DON"T LISTEN TO no. 8 - No. 8 - way to be cruel and heartless. You know, the internet is a funny thing - people will say things on here that they wouldn't dare say to a person's face. Cowardice, I think.

Ladeeedah 0

I'm going to assume that you're actually raising your daughter right, and teaching her important things, instead of just letting her do whatever she wants. The latter is probably what the stepmom does, and of course to a 7 year old this seems like the dream life. I am 22 and frequently thank my parents for teaching me how to be responsible and modest, even though I clearly remember that I hated it so much when my parents wouldn't get me all the toys I wanted. One day your daughter will thank you too.

When she's older she'll realize who the better mommy really is.

PuppiesNSunshine 0

I was the little girl who told her mother that, though I don't know if I should be guilty because I don't know the terms of the divorce and remarriage of my father. It was true for me, but hopefully not true for you.

Caidoz_fml 0

Wow. I'd have dropped the kid right there and left. Don't expect any help from me when you want to go through college, brat!

I loved my Dad's girlfriend when I finally warmed up to her. (my dad left my Mom for her) and she seemed super supportive and fun and she was a good listener. I'm 23 now and have realized that it was all a game. Now that they're married I haven't talked to my father in a long time, where as before he was like my best friend. Personally I think she's a fake bitch who used my trust to get what she wanted. I know realize that my real Mother was always there the whole time and I feel so bad for telling her she was stupid over being upset that my Dad was with another woman.... Yeah, I feel like crap for that one. I guess my mom really does have a great judge of character...