Jesus saves

By WorkSexMonkey - 04/01/2010 19:20 - United States

Today, I found out that shutting off the heat in the rental property my parents owned was a bad idea. The water froze and the pipes burst, causing the whole kitchen ceiling to fall down. The water ruined the wood floors and the appliances. I turned off the heat to save money. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 046
You deserved it 37 316

Same thing different taste

Top comments

it's perfectly fine to shut off the heat but you need to remember to shut off the water and drain the pipes. FYI for future reference, though I don't think they'll ever let you be responsible for it again.

Comments

supermegan 0

This isn't an FML...this is irony bitch-slapping you in the face

Number 2, Please don't breed if you can't bother to type out "please".

Dancer_143 4

Learn how to type please or just go buy a dictionary if you don't know how to spell. Thank you. Yeah, you really shouldn't have turned off the heat with the water not shut off.

it's perfectly fine to shut off the heat but you need to remember to shut off the water and drain the pipes. FYI for future reference, though I don't think they'll ever let you be responsible for it again.

Oooor, you simply run the faucets at a drip. As long as water is still going through the pipes, they dont freeze.

youthink_fml 0

Sometimes they don't freeze. If the drip is slow enough and it's cold enough, they'll still freeze. And who the hell wants to leave the water running with no one there, even if it's "just a drip"? You really have to drain the pipes.

As I replied above, I took it as he was living at his parent's rental property.

Or just don't be cheap and leave the heat on

I doubt insurance will cover negligence... but it's still worth a shot.

Like FD929 said, if you're going to turn the heat off make sure the water lines are drained. Moving water (i.e. a dripping faucet) will take longer also to freeze than if it was stagnant in the line. So much for saving money with the costly fix of repairing the house. YDI.

Water main break has nothing to do with frozen pipes. In fact water main broke right nearby. Had no water today. Really sucked. Fixed now.

Sorry, what? Who was talking about a water main breaking?

Are you from Jersey or did you move there? If #1, YDI. If #2, YDI for not asking any questions of people who know something, like the neighborhood hardware store. So YDI.

I'll admit, I knew nothing about it when I moved to my current town because I was born and raised in San Diego....where it never gets THAT cold. During my first winter here, my electricity got shut off for 2 days and I called a friend who immediately told me about running the water.

I'm from Jersey, duh if you have a summer house, you get the water shut off for the winter. Then think out shutting off the heat

How can you NOT know that would happen?? Sorry but YDI.

BlockOfRedStone 25

I live in the south and had no idea stuff like that could happen in cold places. How do you even shut off the water (I'd assume that after you shut off the water, you drain the pipes by just running the faucet until no more water comes out, but how do you shut the water off in the first place?)

thats a REALLY shitty house. seriously, the whole celing?