Hey lady, not cool!

By Ghostly - 21/07/2013 15:03 - United States - Madison

Today, while filling out paperwork at the dermatologist's, it asked what color I would use to describe my skin tone. When the nurse saw that I chose fair, she mumbled, "Ghost is more like it." I have a severe sun allergy. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 584
You deserved it 4 234

Same thing different taste

Top comments

flashback.miss 28

so much for being professional. Hopefully you told her and she apologized.

that's just really unprofessional and rude of her. some people just don't know when to shut up.

Comments

soldiat_fml 17

Doesn't your nurse have access to your health records? I mean, allergies are kind of an important issue...

That's harsh! Me and my sister are very pale in my family and we have a lot of Irish blood but for some reason it only shows in me and my sister. Luckly we never got red hair

I can relate. People think I'm albino and I have to use certain lighting in some of my pictures to look a normal sort of pale.

You could go to the other extreme of orange and get a spray tan? XD

LilFlutter 10

I am pale, too - have yet to meet anyone paler than I - and have been called a ghost before, though not by a professional such as a nurse. That's horrible that she said that! As a nurse in a dermatology office, she should know that not everyone's skin has the ability to tan, plus there are those who stay out of the sun due to various medical conditions. I only burn, but my skin did tan the one time I got a third-degree sunburn and that tan lasted for many years (too bad it was only on two tiny areas of my legs from my knees up about three or four inches to where my shorts began! I was sitting in a chair when I got it and the other parts of my body were badly burned, but not as bad). I hate when I come back from a trip to the Caribbean and people comment that I didn't get any sun - it is a GOOD thing that I didn't burn! I also have issues with my eyes and the sunlight.

Ins0mau 20

I can't figure out how being described as a "ghost" by being very pale is that offensive. More just descriptive. Are ghosts the new downtrodden of society or something?

You're not alone OP. I'm severely anemic, and have been referred to in the past as 'opaque'

What a bitch. She's not supposed to be like that. You could complain about her. I would be cold back to her. I don't put up well with mean people. Also I am very fair myself. I've been made fun of before too. It's hard to navigate in a sun bed world where beauty is defined as sun kissed. But you and I will be laughing in the end when we look like we're in our twenties but we are really in our forties. I already get thought of as ten years younger. Head up my friend. Snide comments are usually made by unhappy people.

ABrokenRose 7

I read your post thinking, " I know I didn't post this but I very well could have been." I have severe skin allergies too. So I always joke that I'm so pale that I glow in the dark.

I know that feel, bro. :( As a fellow freakishly pale person, I've been called it all. Ghost, milk, vampire. My sister even calls me "Cullen" sometimes. What's even weirder for me is that I'm part Hispanic and my dad had really tan skin. People usually don't believe me when I tell them I'm Hispanic and sometimes when I was little and I was out with only my dad people would look at us as if I was just some white kid he stole from somewhere. They didn't actually see that I had all his facial features, just not his skin color. People always tell me that I should go tan, even though the only time I have ever been tan in my life is when I once got horrible sun burn. Besides, why should I have to change my skin color to look acceptable to people? Sorry for the rant, but I know all too well how it feels to be a pale person in a tan obsessed world.