GHOSTS!

By fml_anon - 19/03/2016 08:33 - United Kingdom - London

Today, I had to spend a depressingly long time convincing my 29-year-old husband that our house isn't haunted and that the door slammed shut because it was windy outside. I repeat, "29-year-old husband" and "haunted". It's like I'm married to a child. FML
I agree, your life sucks 17 114
You deserved it 4 255

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You could have just gone along with it and made him even more scared

To be fair, that's also what they blame it on in scary movies.

Comments

It's amazing how many people don't believe in something just because they don't understand it.

hannah_dl 11

That's a dumb argument. I could say it's amazing that you do believe ghosts exist just because you don't understand reality. Yours is a big straw man argument.

Iris_River 15

Everyone's reality is different. Everyone perceives a life different from your own. Do not say someone doesn't understand reality. Because their reality is not like the one your living.

hannah_dl 11

Oh boy, I knew I shouldn't have opened my mouth. This is like the last time I got into a discussion with someone who thinks mermaids are real even though she hadn't any proof. When I said reality, I meant observable and testable reality, not a person's opinion of what reality is. I've had a couple weird experiences myself but saying "Aha, ghosts!" is really so lazy and dumb and it ignores so many possibilities, mainly how easily our brains and our senses can trick us. I think this "ghosts" thinking is something that belongs in centuries past and you can say I'm arrogant, but you can't honestly deny that #12's comment was really flawed. So do not say I don't understand stuff just because I don't agree that ghosts are real.

Rammer3500 23

Well please by all means, explain ghosts to me all-knowing-one

uchihadesendent 14

Then you should have no problem visiting them most haunted places right? You don't believe them so what's the worst that can happen. People have seen many things in their lives and just because you didn't doesn't mind it's not real also you really think in the vast world and space that this is honestly the only dimension of existence that there is? Scientifically speaking we are energy and once we die we become energy in a different form. "In physics, the law of conservation of energy states that the total energy of an isolated system remains constant—it is said to be conserved over time. Energy can neither be created nor destroyed; rather, it transforms from one form to another." Meaning just because they're not in your field of vision doesn't mean it's not or hasn't already happened.

hannah_dl 11

39, I never said I was all knowing. But if you want explanations you're gonna have to give a specific example of what kind of "ghost activity" you want explained. But like I said, I'm not all knowing so you'd be better off and more intellectually honest with yourself if you have a good long look online to get many more skeptical opinions than just mine. That's much more honest than saying "ghosts did it". 53, you have a seriously bad understanding of the laws of thermodynamics and entropy if you're trying to use that argument. Again, I recommend you look that argument up because it's a very old one that's been debunked over and over again. If anything, ghosts would actually lose energy due to entropy. And sentience comes from the brain, not just from generic "energy". There are lots of explanations of why your argument is wrong, from actual scientists who can explain better than me, so go have a look if you're actually open minded. But that's it, I'm not gonna get into a debate here, I've commented on ghost stories before and it's like trying to discuss religion.

I've seen them. Ghosts aren't how they appear in movies. In fact, they appear very much lifelike. I don't believe they are the spirits of people who have died. I believe they are something more individual. An intentional creation. And FYI, I used to be skeptical of their existence until I saw them with my own eyes, on multiple occasions now.

katachristic 19

I do believe in science but I also recognize that is precisely that, a belief. We fundamentally can't prove anything, such as thermodynamics or entropy using mathematics because we can't prove the axioms that we base mathematics on. The axioms of mathematics are things that we just accept because we believe them to be true and assuming they're true makes our lives easier. But we really aren't guaranteed them in any way and it is fully possible that ghosts are extremely powerful spirits that hold the axioms in place just to stop us from freaking out about not being able to predict anything. You never know what could actually be.

hannah_dl 11

I.... I won't reply what I'm thinking because it's just so rude. xD Complete misunderstanding of what real science is, really wild speculation about ghosts changing the fabric of reality just to stop us knowing too much, and basically you're trying to say "people can make stuff up about things they don't really understand and that's just as valid as logical/scientific explanations". I hope you were trolling, lol.

Make him question its existence. Logic solves bogus of all kinds

CheekyRaccoon 27

That may be so, but this isn't always the case though. Please don't flame me for what I'm about so say, the possibility of God existing. That topic has started so many unnecessary flame wars, it's not even funny. I'm just going to leave this. People can believe whatever they'd like, as long as it's not going to harm others.

spacefish966 18

My older (42) brother is deathly afraid of rocks that are five inches or bigger...not a joke. weirdest f-ing phobia ever. Believing in Ghosts at 29 is different but understandable. Sometimes I get spooked and wonder myself.

Im 29 and married and its not childish to be afraid ! I would say its a FML for your husband coz he's married to a woman who doesn't understand fears.

I am not saying that I am disagreeing with you. But the point of the FML was that the OPs husband believes that their house is haunted even though he is an adult.

dragoongirl90 34

Agree! She's just ******* mean and sounds like she doesn't really love him at all. He deserves better than a bitch who is going to call him childish for any ******* reason.

F your husband's life for being married to a bitch that calls him a child.

I find it fascinating that, apparently, the perception these days is that only immature people believe in ghosts. Since when has the belief in the paranormal ever been age-restricted? It's ridiculous to call someone childish for believing in something you don't believe in.

Right? I don't personally believe but it's odd to call it childish. I mean look at all the books/tv shows which are non fiction and focus on ghost hunting and spirits. Definitely not a "childish" belief. I think it tends to be a belief which stems from fear of death so mocking others for believing seems cruel, imo.

Axel5238 29

This might just be me, but I got the vibe she called it childish because he was so quick to assume the house was haunted. I had an ex that considered herself "sensitive" to spirits and the like and was quick to believe that normal occurrences in the house were the result of ghosts and spirits. So I could see this going both ways, if something like a door slamming shut and immediately freaks out thinking ghosts I could see why she would call it childish.

Fair point, I guess. Still seems a bit silly to me that she's reacting so negatively as to say "it's like being married to a child," but who am I to judge other people?

Iris_River 15

There's nothing wrong with believing your house is haunted as long as you don't go over the top "ghostbusters" extreme with it.