Fun is overrated

By Jess56 - 06/09/2019 06:01 - United States

Today, I met the exchange student who will be living with us for a year. As we were talking, she told me that she doesn't like reading, writing, drawing, athletics, watching television or listening to music. What does she like to do during her free time? Study. It's going to be a long year. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 610
You deserved it 258

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Never knew that reading & writing weren't part of studying....

She's an exchange student so her grades matter for a lot of reasons (financing, equivalence when she goes back home, wants to use this experience to put on her CV for a good university). Also, it depends where she's from... In some countries, kids really do sacrifice a lot for a good college or university. Maybe propose some fun time that is also related to her studies? Museums, conferences... She might open up a bit.

Comments

Be careful! She sounds like a bad influence. If she leads you around by the nose, you might accidentally get smart. The horror!

Never knew that reading & writing weren't part of studying....

so you've never read a book that wasn't school assigned...or written a short fanfic just because...?

Oh, I've read a few thousand books that weren't school assigned ... and LIKED 'em! So what's your point?

Mathalamus 24

Getting good grades is quite important.

She's an exchange student so her grades matter for a lot of reasons (financing, equivalence when she goes back home, wants to use this experience to put on her CV for a good university). Also, it depends where she's from... In some countries, kids really do sacrifice a lot for a good college or university. Maybe propose some fun time that is also related to her studies? Museums, conferences... She might open up a bit.

Bring some table games and tell her it's an exercise to improve her language skills. Also, ask her to prepare an exposé about the fun stuff people do where she comes from. You know, to practice her language skills. Try to learn her language; that will make her laugh.

I teach children in China. I taught teenagers for five years at an after school training school. Most of them would be at training schools for eight hours every Saturday and Sunday. Plus regular school homework. I wouldn't be surprised if that's all she's been allowed to do.

OP, here's your chance to show her all that she's been missing out on! :-)

So? Continue living your life & let her be