Everybody wants to be a cat

By azouwa - 29/07/2017 05:00

Today, I caught my 10 year-old in the closet, naked, on his hands and knees, eating cat food straight from the bag. He'd torn a hole in the side of the bag, cat food was everywhere. We have plenty of food in the house, but he wants to be a cat. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 902
You deserved it 502

Same thing different taste

Top comments

gobiteme2 34

Be a good mom and get him a litter box.

I get the feline your house is a catastrophe — breathe, take a paws.

Comments

gobiteme2 34

Be a good mom and get him a litter box.

Well a cat's the only cat that knows where it's at.

Either try a therapist and see if something triggered him to think that being a cat was better, or try to ignore it and see if it's a phase. If it isn't and he does it for more than a few days, it might be a good idea to call a child psychiatrist or psychologist.

....or a veterinarian. I think he won't want to be a cat anymore once they try to take his temperature.

Note that I mostly want to rule out some sort of chemical imbalance related disorder that has resulted in an altered perception of his identity. If he just wants to pretend to be a cat, set rules about it but don't stop him from doing it if he makes a big deal about it, or it will also become about the rebellion. Where he play cat, when, what he has to wear, activities that are okay, etc. Somethings are obvious like keeping his clothes on, but it might also be a good idea to buy him knee pads if he's gonna crawl around. Same with gloves. There are specialty stores for those sort of items, but some soft sports gear should work just as well. No climbing on the roof or high areas in he house should also be established as a rule. And tell him if he really wants "cat food", you'll get him special cat food. Get some tuna and peas and alternate that with broken up cereals or snack mix. Chances are you can't stop him from doing it all together, but you can make sure he's doing it in a safe environment.

I get the feline your house is a catastrophe — breathe, take a paws.

I hope you got him neutered and microchipped. Be a responsible cat owner and do your bit to keep the stray population down.

Karina Velarde 8

Wow, he must be transspecies, you've got to let him be who he is!

Kami_667 8

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

I would think some kind of drug would be involved with something like this...catnip, perhaps?

Probably one of the weirdest things I've read on here lol

jeez there are a lot of weird comments here. hopefully it's just a phase OP! talk to your kid, maybe he's doing it to get a bit more attention?