Dingus friends

By Anonymous - 25/02/2015 11:51 - United Kingdom

Today, I was telling my friends that I'd gotten a paid position to cover a worker's bereavement leave for the next three weeks. They then called me an insensitive bitch for "profiting from someone else's misfortune." FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 609
You deserved it 2 855

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Nice friends you have there, OP. Just ignore them, it's your job so it's not their concern.

You're a good coworker to cover for someone for three weeks. Don't listen to your friends.

Comments

A: it's a job! They need to be taken where they're given in this economy and B: if the company wasn't able to find someone to take on that work load for 3 weeks, that person would have to be grieving for their loved one at their desk because they couldn't get time off

Ok, don't shoot me... But... Who gets 3 weeks of bereavement? That seems like a lot. Good on you for being able to cover for her while she's grieving though.

It's the UK, as I understand it they are much more generous with those things than the US is. But also the worker in question may have been with the company for a long time and have built up goodwill with bosses.

SchlomoTheGrinch 18

You'd be a bitch if you'd gone out and murdered someone, just so you could make them get bereavement leave and take their position for the duration. Somehow, I don't really think that's the case. Oh, and you need smarter friends.

You need new friends....otherwise this is a YDI for continuing to hang around shitty people.

Maybe you need smarter friends... That work...

britneyxo 9

My husband and I got the same response when we talked about buying a foreclosed home. Some people are just idiots.

snarkytruth 37

You're just filing a need for an employer who is shorthanded that's nothing to be embarrassed about or taking advantage of anyone. I think your friends just don't get it. If anything you are just saving the place for the grieving employee and allowing them to take the time off to do what they need to do so they don't lose their job you were not given their job from them. You did them a favor.

wow, you've got some crappy friends. :/