Bad babysitter

By cantprovenothing - 18/04/2014 21:31 - United States - Arlington

Today, I was babysitting a 9-year-old kid, when she got thirsty and asked for a drink. All I could find was some kind of Mexican fruit drink, but I didn't realize until too late that it was actually hard liquor. I had to scrub her mouth out with toothpaste and put her to bed to cover it all up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 621
You deserved it 48 823

Same thing different taste

Top comments

NotGabe 28

The next morning will be interesting...

That could actually be dangerous. You need to pay attention or find another line of work.

Comments

You couldn't smell that it was hard liquor?

This is exactly what I was thinking! Alcohol is usually such a strong scent, just opening the lid would typically emit a smell.

OP, you're an idiot. You didn't even taste it before you gave an unfamiliar drink to a child? Or smell the alcohol that is impossible to over look when you start to pour? That little girl could have gotten very sick because of your incompetence. I really hope you've learned your lesson.

You should have told the child's parents. You could have seriously hurt her. You need to find a different line of work and fast.

WasabiMars 21

Grand mistake you made there. You're in a bad situation OP. So what happened the next morning? C'mon don't leave it hanging. Some of us would like to know what happened next.

Seeing as how people are calling OP an idiot and a child abuser who could get charges filed against her...I don't think we'll be getting a follow-up....

rocker_chick23 27

You tried covering it up? If I was the parents I would fire your ass for endangering my child. It sounds like you didn't even explain it to the parents

OP could even have charges filed against her. This is illegal, and could have killed the child.

A little alcohol isn't gonna kill a 9 year old

rocker_chick23 27

#57:Yes it can. It depends on how much alcohol was in it, how much she drank and her weight.

kayteakay 26

I assume the 9-year-old wasn't chugging liquor and taking shots. One sip is enough to reveal the true contents.

rocker_chick23 27

Some people are allergic to alcohol and can die if they drink it.

rocker_chick23 27

Then you're aware that people with food allergies can die even if given tiny amounts.

arandomusernameaa 20

Yeh but your point is irrelevant because the child isn't allergic to alcohol... I was drinking whiskey when I was 9 and I turned out (pretty much) alright!

kingdomgirl94 29

Cause if you're not allergic, of course the kid couldn't have been! Wow! Now we know what every allergy everyone could possibly have just by knowing your allergies!

rocker_chick23 27

#157: Just because you drank when you were 9 and never got alcohol poisoning doesn't mean anything. This might be a hard concept for a person with a low IQ, but everyone's body is different.

Ignoring possible allergies, the issue is that 86 says it wouldn't be a problem because they wouldn't have had much. However, OP obviously didn't test it till it was too late and a child WOULDN'T stop, especially if it was a fruity cocktail like drink. Half the stuff they eat/drink is new to them, they're not going to stop just because they don't recognise it and they're unlikely to recognise that it's alcohol. They would've just thought it was some odd new fruit juice like OP did.

How could you have not known that it was hard liquor? I thought maybe the alcohol content label would have given it away.

Didn't say it was alcoholic on the label.

Krissey_DJ 16

If she actually drank it all then that's one tough kid My brother made me take a sip of his liquor once and it burned my mouth and throat Never ever again

My father once gave me apple cider instead of apple juice. He said it was the quietest night he ever had with me.

kittcatt 8

You mean hard cider? In the US apple cider is a non alcoholic beverage and alcoholic ciders like Angry Orchard are known as hard cider.

And not everyone in the world is from America....

orsombre_fml 11

In Europe, cider always contains alcohol.

kingdomgirl94 29

Canada has both , non alcoholic cider tends to be referred to as and served as warm apple cider though.

Read the label much or you know SMELL THE DRINK FIRST!!