You what now?

By Acesup111 - 02/03/2011 05:24 - United States

Today, I informed my grandparents of my upcoming graduation from college. My grandma looked at me with tears in her eyes, and told me how proud she was that I was able to make it so far in spite of being autistic. I am not, nor have I ever been autistic. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 157
You deserved it 3 466

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ariasmake_1 0

your grandma rules! how awkward are you that your grandma thinks you're autistic ?

maybe that's just her way of telling you you're her special little boy ;)

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
Dudelike89 8

Autistic kids can read and write and use the Internet.. do you know what autism is? It is about being able to express emotion; it's not about literacy. Jackass.

This is an exemple of trying too hard to be funny. Or witty.

This is NOT an example of trying to be too funny, this is complete and abject failure

ohSNAPyall : You actually don't seem to know much about Autism either (you may know more than what you appear to know though). However, it's nice to respond to defend autistic people (though it may have been a joke, at least I hope it was one). There are many kind of autistic people and of course some of them may not be able to learn how to read or communicate through writing because their Autism is severe and they suffer from mental retardation. But as you said, most autists are able to learn how to read and are intelligent. Autism means that one have social difficulties (and it's not just being shy or having social anxiety), tend to have a literal mind (do not understand idioms or sarcasm), do not understand or use body language properly, lack of eye contact (or make unusual eye contact), tend to be distracted or focused too much on something (special interest in an area), they also have repetitive behaviours and routine most of the time. Some stim (though everyone stims, it is apparently different for autistic people), some have sensory issues which are hard to live with (photophobia, phonophobia). These can cause severe tantrums and autistic people tend to be abused by other people because of their apparent naivety and weakness. They can be very intelligent but not all of them have a high IQ (which does not equal high intelligence by the way, depending on what you consider to be "intelligence") and not all of them are the savant type (People with Asperger or High Functionning Autism are always depicted as being savants on the telly, it is annoying). Some fail at school, cannot have a job or a social life. Other succeed. Most of them can learn and improve but there are many comorbid conditions which can make it more difficult. I am pretty sure there are hundreds of videos about Autism on Youtube to show different kind of Autism. As for the author, the fact that they may not have been told about their Autism does not mean they are not autistic. There are even people who get diagnosed as adults because they are High-Functionning with unusual traits or great coping skills.

amarie366 0

sheesh write a novel why dont ya

75# WTF... it's just fml not a science magazine. and I would think that science mags wouldnt write that much

did you copy paste this or are you just a nerd with nothing better to do then to post 20 000 pages long comments?!???

I happen to be autistic (I have aspergers) and I am highly intelligent, I taught myself to read when I was four years old, I am currently working on a novel, I have multiple awards, and I am also working on a perpetual motion generator. Dumbasses like you make me ashamed to be a part of the human race.

Wow. I wonder what made her think that... or who told her such a thing was true.

some people are but don't know it because they have a super mild version of it...maybe they never told you because they didn't want you to be discouraged

Maybe. Mind you, being autistic wasn't an impediment to me going to university. I have Aspergers syndrome (a form of autism) but I'm studying a Double Degree Bachelor of Science.

I agree, OP could very well have a mild form and never been informed by their family. Maybe they wanted to give OP every chance at a normal education with out being labeled as 'Special'. Either way OP, Congratulations on your success!!

my friend has aspergers and he is almost a computer engineer. to sum it up autism does not translate to incapable

YDI!!!! DIE BITCH DIE!!!!!!! MUAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH OHLEWHBVD4WKDMFGNEWKVKASNCKDSNFDS SWEEDEN!!!!! YEAH SWEDEN! WEEEEE ARE THE CHAMPIONS, MY FRIIIIEEEND (den den deeen den) AND WEEEEE'LL KEEP ON FIGHTIIIING TO THE EEEEEEND (bitches) WE ARE FROM SWEDEN! WE ARE FROM SWEDEN! NOOO TIME FOR LOOOSERS CAUSE WEEEE ARE FROM SWEEDEN!!!!!! I AM AWESOOOOOOOOMEE!

So you take it up the backdoor every Saturday right?

Ohh mighty Sirin!! Please forgive if I've misspelled you're name oh wondrous moderator!! Somebody is a troll, and not posting related comments. If no moderator is available I will hush and wait for Doc,KingDing,Kay or Every1lovesboners to commence with the asskicking.lol

It's actually funnier just to leave it there.

GoPro2Oh 0

Well act like you are and she will be even prouder!

#12, way to be a dick. and insulting NC state? **** you!

he's just mad cause he couldn't get accepted into NC state. lol. awww.. poor number 12. now he spends his days and nights on fml fuming about his lack of intelligence.. sad... funny, but sad. lol

TaylorTotsYumm 10

well they don't tell autistic ppl they're autistic, right?

I've known about my Autism for as long as I can remember. My parents have never kept that secret...And yes I managed to graduate from university.

gonzaval 0

lol congrats and at least she is proud of you.