You tried at least

By oreosaretoocool - 05/12/2016 19:10 - United Kingdom - Cardenden

Today, I finally gave my mum an expensive designer dress I spent months saving to buy for her as she had been very depressed. However she has gained so much weight from stress eating she ripped it when trying to put it on, and now won't talk to me because, "I wanted to make her feel fat". FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 657
You deserved it 1 139

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It's pretty difficult to reason with people who are seriously depressed. Try not to take to too personally.

RedCronos 17

That honestly sucks. It was very thoughtful to get her a present like that though. Depression can be very difficult to deal with so hang in there. She needs you more than she may think.

Comments

She'll come around OP, and realize how lucky she is to have you in her life.

just spend time with your mom, take her for a trip to another country. that's better than a dress

If her depression is pushing her into gaining weight that severely and making her that hostile, you may need to look into mental health care laws where you live and see if you have any avenues to force her to get care. Won't be easy or enjoyable to do, but could very easily be the better option over watching her drive herself into a dead end.

People really shouldn't buy dresses for others even if you know their exact size and interest.

Giving you the silent treatment? That's a dickmove. She's depressed, which is really hard, but that doesn't give her an excuse to treat you like shit (especially given she's your mother! I wonder if your childhood was like this!?). I'm sorry OP.