Who are you?

By LCDRBrownHercules - 22/09/2015 01:44 - United States - Lake Elsinore

Today, my 5-year-old daughter sobbed inconsolably on my return home from a several-month long deployment to the Middle East. I was touched by her reaction until she blurted out that she wasn't crying because she missed me, but because my shaved head looked scary ugly. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 951
You deserved it 2 008

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Your daughter remembers how you looked when you left and she probably wasn't expecting you to come home with a new unfamiliar look. Give her a couple days and she will get used to your new look ;) welcome home!

moo77_fml 20

Ahhhh.. Bless her... She will get used to it.. And thank you for your service

Comments

Bullshit. If you went on a deployment then you are already in the military and had to cut your hair to spec constantly. It wouldn't be a new and startling thing. Lying isn't cool bro.

Maybe his daughter is so young that she doesn't remember when he had to shave his hair before. Don't just make assumptions.

Its not polite to lie. If you're military you would have regulation hair cuts all the time. Not just cut it off at the end of a rotation.

Maybe he went from a crew cut to a bald shave. It's been known to happen, you know..

The barbers at deployed locations aren't always reliable. This was probably the only way to get a haircut without it looking god awful.

soldier084 11

670-1 has changed quite a bit. though if you are a certain percent balding due to hair loss you are allowed to completely shave your head.

lol when you ask for a fade from the barbers on post down range, you leave with a clean shave

#24, as of the most recent update, you can shave your head before incoming baldness now, don't know about before.

Denise1988 13

My husband keeps his hair trimmed with a 4 on the top and 2 on the sides. When he's deployed the barbers cut it down to a 1 all the way around. Huge difference in appearance.

it also depends on his job. SOCOM doesn't have to keep short hair and clean shaven faces. not yo mention you don't have to shave your head just because you are in, my dad never had a shaved head and he retired after 22 years.

Like others have said, your daughter might just be overwhelmed that your finally home and this is just the one thing she picked to say since she might be either too young to know why or just because she doesn't want you to be upset with seeing her sob since your home. I've seen it happen before but children that aren't use to either mommy or daddy being gone for very long come up with strange ideas. Thank you for your service sir. I know the feeling on how difficult it can be to be away from your family for so long. Just enjoy the time with them while you have it.

I was thinking "aww" until I kept reading and laughed. She should get used to it soon OP, and thank you for your service!

Small children are known for being honest to a fault. I'm sure she'll warm straight back up to you. You're her daddy, after all, and I know she missed you. We thank you for service and are glad you made it back home to your family. Spend a lot of time with that adorable little girl of yours. :)

soldier084 11

welcome home battle. your daughter will warm up to the haircut after a few days.

At least she thinks that you were NOT ugly with previous haircut, and hair grows.

foxmatrix15 8

Dammit man I appreciate you serving our country but if ur daughter wants ur beard off TAKE IT OFF. Do it for her sake :) I'm sure it's not a big deal.

There was no mention of a beard. His head was shaved down shorter than she was used to seeing and she got disconcerted by it. That is all. Reading comprehension is important. :)

Wow, this kid has all the wrong thoughts running through their head. Thumbs up to you OP for your work to your country and hopefully your daughter will understand the honor you've brought to your family and nation