Vocab test

By shut up. - 11/11/2013 10:36 - New Zealand

Today, I was mentioning to a coworker how there was a huge lull today in business. A young coworker then turned to me and sead in a snooty tone, "I think you mean a 'lol', it's pronounced L-O-L." FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 005
You deserved it 3 223

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Things like this make me want my towel. Stupid people.

Comments

young, dumb, and full of... nope, your coworker's brain was on empty... that's when you break out a dictionary for the ignorant ones and give them a grammar lesson

As my mom would say, "ohhh, poor sweetie! You're retarded!"

Your mom sounds awesome. Do you think she'd adopt me?

Haha! I like your picture so I'll see what's up.

I don't think a dictionary would be enough... Throw in a thesaurus while you're at it.

Put one of those Word of the day calendars up, or put a dictionary next to the toilet. It could encourage further enhancing ones vocabulary.

Ugh. Too many people on this planet. Too bad the survival of the fittest no longer applies to our pathetic race.

You're one pathetic egotistical wannabe know-it-all.

Because someone is book smart doesn't mean they would make it in that kind of environment.

FML64128 7

Survival of the fittest depends on the definition of fittest. Smart people are likely to survive because they can contribute intellectually. Strong people can contribute physically. Talented people (artists, musicians, cooks, etc) can all contribute to bettering the lives of others. What about when someone contributes nothing to the world? The government protects them for some reason. Many people believe that those who never have and never will contribute anything should be cut loose...

The problem with that is that smart people are the ones who are most likely to use contraception. While the morons breed like rabbits. In a hundred years it'll be a lot like Idiocracy. :(

footcheezeez 16
perdix 29

And yet, wouldn't the world be a better place if there were occasional huge LOLs in business?

Lull -a temporary interval of quiet or lack of activity. I've heard of a lullaby but never "lull". However, I know it now. I can't be the only one that had to look that word up. (maybe I am) We can't all know everything without learning it first.

I didn't know what 'lull' meant either, but I'm not native English, so I suppose that's a good reason :p

People are using less complex array of vocabulary in speech every day. I can't blame people for not knowing words if people never use them. Not everyone will remember every word they looked up in english/reading class in high school.

FML64128 7

That's exactly the problem. The reading people do in high school isn't enough. It used to be that people read on a regular basis voluntarily, for the enjoyment of the brain exercise.