By Judgeisalwaysright - 01/03/2016 08:57 - United States - Chesterfield

Today, while at a big speech and debate tournament, I corrected the judge's use of the word "podium" instead of lectern, because that's what my debate coach had told me was the correct usage. Well, she didn't take it too well and neither did my partner. Or my debate coach. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 713
You deserved it 21 008

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Correcting the judge in front of everyone is kind of a dick move. A judge is there as some sort of expert and authority figure and to undermine them doesn't look good for your score.

Comments

Probably shoulda bit your tongue there fam

You clearly understood what the judge meant. You should really learn the appropriate time to correct someone.

It's what you get for being a smart ass. Unless you were doing it playfully. But still, see this foot? Open your mouth. Aaaand insert. Goood.

If you want to correct someone do it later an in private (the only exception is if they're so wrong it's confusing "change the channel on the microwave" "you mean TV?"). If it seems too trivial to bring up half an hour later then it was too trivial to mention in the first place. Pedantry is a particularly insufferable trait so I'd try to curb it if I were you.

mariri9206 32

There's a time and a place, honey.

YDI or being a real life troll/ grammar nazi or whatever term applies. You know what I call any of those? Podium, lectern, dais. They're all synonyms. It's easier than saying tall standing mini desked area that's slanted. No one can tell me they aren't same with different names for stuck ups.

although I probably would've done the same, you can't say you didn't know that no one likes a know-it-all..

You should have written "high school"; it's two words.

What if the lectern was elevated? Just sayin'

you shouldnt correct someone in a higher position then you. its disrespectful