By InDebt - 04/02/2016 04:47 - United States - Morgantown

Today, Southwest officially called off the search for my lost baggage and asked me to file a claim for reimbursement. My bag had $2000 worth of dental instruments, which I won't get any compensation for since the airline doesn't take any liability for valuable items. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 480
You deserved it 1 962

Same thing different taste

Top comments

0 liability for valuable items? when are they liable then? For my $3 tube of toothpaste?

Buy a new drill. Invite them over for free treatment. Hold them hostage. Should get the loss covered and then some.

Comments

YDI for not knowing the risks. Lots of people could help you learn about travel and expensive things. Your fault for assuming airlines took full responsibility.

And I suppose you'd say YDI too if someone stole OP's equipment when he had his back turned, right? His fault for not having eyes in the back of his head, right?

My mother happens to work for southwest as well as i plan to in the future. If you ask any customer service agent or go on southwest.com and check you will be told what the baggage policy is. Also when you travel you should keep in mind that your checked baggage is not on your person, therefore you should keep your valuable items in your carry on.

Suaria 38

It is dental instruments. Most of those instruments would be considered weapons by the TSA.

True but you shouldn't carry expensive items in your luggage if you don't want to face a chance of losing them.

By that logic, 27, no one should ever use courier services either since they might lose or damage OP's equipment. Or maybe we shouldn't hold a professional furniture mover responsible when something breaks while in transit. How is OP supposed to transport his equipment, then?

aeryn97 17
itzALiza 7

I had the same issue once when I was going to Montreal, now I always make sure to get travelers insurance

Travel insurance is your friend here!

I spent 25 years selling travel and I saw and heard it all. I finally had my corporate clients going on buying trips "trained" to cover their asses because the small cost of insurance was worth it in the end. Airlines will never take full responsibility. If they did, they'd be screwed!

That or they would suddenly start taking better care of people's shit.

I lost more than 10 pairs of shoes on a cruise and 7,000 dollars worth of things. It took 6 months but I finally got reimbursed 3,000 dollars because that's all insurance covers as they discount your clothes 40%. It's a long process OP, good luck!

aeryn97 17

that's a lot of packed shoes. surely you don't need that many on vacation.

#48 and #52..no, haha. I'm very indecisive sometimes and needed shoes to match my outfits because otherwise it would bother me. It was a week long cruise however.

See, now this is a YDI, not OP's problem. Losing an excessive amount of clothing doesn't quite compare to valuable dental instruments. However, I'm glad they at least reimbursed you for the $3k. It's something, I guess.

Sorry OP I love traveling with Southwest, never had a problem with them. Hope you can figure something out!!

Just saw an article on this. Contact DOT for assistance, they will help you.