By an anon - 27/03/2015 05:31 - United States - San Francisco

Today, some well-meaning soul told me to just pray my depression away, which would be about as effective as praying away a knife in my shin. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 037
You deserved it 3 823

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I'm religious and even I think people get a bit too crazy about God being the only answer, don't worry OP, there are people out there who will and want to help you!

Comments

So sorry OP.... Some people just don't understand the magnitude and constant inner battle those of us who suffer from depression have to face daily. That really would've made me feel like shit.

There's a difference between spirituality and religion. Religion is man made. Spirituality is having a relationship with God. To each their own. However, this is such a touchy subject.. Listen OP, do what feels best for you. Either way, at the end of the day, you're laying down with your problems. No one else. Best of luck to you!

This sounds suspiciously like "Christianity isn't a religion" bullcrap. Spirituality isn't a personal relationship with God. Spirituality is personal beliefs on spiritual matters. Religion is organized and/or mandated spirituality. Christianity is a religion of the "mandated" variety.

I'm so sorry that you had to experience that, OP. I'm a Christian, and while I certainly advocate prayer, I do not think that God means for us to do nothing. For example, medication and/or counselling may be needed and I don't think that you can pray the depression away... Also, sometimes I think people aren't looking for an easy answer but merely a kind, listening ear in times of sadness. And minimizing people's depression is a really nasty thing to do.

Try an alternative healing, maybe? A lot of people are skeptical but it can help.

Because SURELY religion is a form of anti depressant. If you have a problem just pray it away. I'm not knocking religion or anything, but it's not for everybody. OP, if you ask me, just find some good friends and get a nice music playlist you can vibe with. Won't fix the problem, but it can help.

Some Christians think the Bible and prayer is all you need for these - these things need doctors. It is not unchristian to make use of people learned in the body and mind; it is not evil spirits and with these things prayer does not always help. I think it is dangerous if Christians always think that is the answer because sometimes you need professional, secular help and maybe THAT is God's way of answering prayer. PLEASE go to a doctor. With depression prayer might help but it might not, and if not then you need to seek help from professionals. Also my friend says we are like batteries - we need to recharge and sometimes things take a lot out of us, like getting out of bed, on other days we are able to do more, but we need to recharge by doing things we like such as watching tv.

I think that God gave us brains. We should use them and sometimes that means doing something that might help your situation. Guilting people because they haven't been able to pray the pain away is ridiculous and dangerous. And I think that yes, it might be God's way of answering prayer :) Like that joke about the drowning man who refused two boats and a helicopter, and when he did and went to Heaven he asked God why He didn't save him, to which God replied "I sent two boats and a helicopter, what more did you want?!" :P I like the battery analogy :) Very helpful, thank you.

Yeah, that tactic is been so successful with resolving, war, famine, crime and other social maladies and inequities, it should be a snap to fix your depression

HATE PEOPLE WHO SAY STUPID SHIT LIKE THAT

Well its sad that you have depression but the "well meaning soul" was just trying to help...i dont see how this is much of an FML... as for the depression... maybe you should see a therapist? my cousin had depression and she felt better after talking to a therapist for a few sessions Not completely but it was a good starting point but anyway good luck with that