By need_cash_now - 28/04/2013 04:29 - United States

Today, six weeks before my wedding, my mother decided to claim that she never agreed on paying for it and that she doesn't think she will. Now I have six weeks to scavenge enough cash for the wedding she planned in the first place. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 274
You deserved it 4 449

Same thing different taste

Top comments

lhazz11 23

I would uninvite her until she puts up the cash

And that's why you should always have a backup. Try your dad.

Comments

While that was my first thought, my immediately following thought was that if the mother said she'd pay for it then she should damn well follow through. And if the mother planned it, she may have planned outside the groom's budget, another reason the groom might be coming up short now.

If you are old enough to get married, you are old enough to pay for your own wedding. FYL though.

You seem to be missing the fact that OP did not ask him mom to pay and she said no; she said she was willing to pay, planned his wedding accordingly, and then backed out at the last minute. Yes, he should be able to pay for his own wedding, IF it was one that he planned and had an appropriate amount of time to save enough money for. If the mom said she'd pay, she should follow through on her promise.

Isn't it tradition that the bride's father pays ? :)

Do it outdoors. Just worry about your dress, the cake and the seats :)

myoukei 31

Op is a guy? Not judging if he is going in a dress though ^_^

Yeah, I realized that... It doesn't lose its meaning, though :)

Call J.G. Wentworth 877 Cash now *opera voice*

glamorous18 10

Wow. Nobody should ever put anyone in a situation so stressful like that, especially weeks before your big day, where there's already enough stress! She either follows through, or she's not going to your wedding.

Since your mother likely gave you a list of people she wants invited, tell her that you can't invite those people because you can't afford it. When I got married, we paid for half of it, and the parents on both sides contributed to the rest because the people they wanted invited literally doubled the guest list. We could have paid for the whole thing, but our parents insisted on helping.

cutiepie292929 18

Traditions are no more. If you want the traditions of parents paying for the wedding then people need to start respecting their elders and so on. Pay for your own wedding!

I'm inclined to disagree with this. If the OP's mother flat out said she would pay, and has been planning the OP's wedding according to her own budget plans rather than the OP's, then she needs to suck it up and pay for the wedding she planned. The only other thing I can really see doing is to strike everything that isn't already paid for that she planned to have there, up to and including any guests. That way she doesn't get the wedding she wanted on the bride and grooms day.

Who says OP and his fiancée don't respect their elders? Besides, that's not the point. The mother said she would pay for it, and backed out at practically the last second. Maybe if some of our elders would stop doing things like this, they'd get the respect they claim to deserve.

cutiepie292929 18

Maybe the mother really wanted to do it but she couldn't afford it, so perhaps the OP should have looked into if the mother could really pay for it or if the mother felt she was under pressure to say she would pay for it which could be the case leaving it till last min hoping some money would show up or they would tell her it's ok not to pay. I wouldn't put this on my parents to pay nor would I leave it so late to get things paid for.

If she suddenly couldn't pay for it, then she should have just come out and said that it was no longer in her ability to pay. And if she wasn't going to be able to pay, she shouldn't have been planning it. That's the point that everyone is trying to make. It sounds more like she has the money and just decided that she no longer wants to pay, and is now claiming that she never said she'd pay. She probably just wanted to plan the day that SHE wanted, used her paying as an excuse to do so, and now doesn't want to claim any of the financial responsibility.

cutiepie292929 18

Well as they say "if you want something done right, do it yourself" same goes here. If your relying on someone else for something like this you can't leave it till there is no room to fix it. Cash up front. And everyone knows weddings is when shit hits the fan with family. I have yet to see a wedding when people aren't secretly hating or being jealous over stupid things, especially mothers.

WrongRomance 11

Shouldn't have let your mom plan your wedding. Does she still pick out your clothes? Haha, nah, that's a joke. I know that kind of mom, I'm pretty sure mine is that way. It's her way or the highway.

Sometimes a family member or close friend will offer to plan all or part of a wedding and it's a blessing, something the bride or groom doesn't have time or experience to do themselves. It's really not the same thing as daily minor planning like what to wear.

WrongRomance 11
maimengming 10

My grandma on my dad's side tried to take over my parents wedding. Then she tried to take over my mom's sister's wedding a few years later.

#32 If you have to point out that it's a joke then it clearly isn't a very good one.

Sometime's it's NOT worth it. Wedding-sized debt, especially with interest payments, can make life for new couples a lot harder. The price of many weddings these days -- sometimes especially if planned by someone who doesn't expect to pay for it -- is enough to buy a new car, make a nice downpayment on a house, or create a great college fund for a future child. Any of those (and many more) would have a much better and more lasting positive impact on a couple's lives than a beyond-their-budget wedding.