By thefatnurse - 13/11/2014 02:48 - United States - Roswell

Today, one of the patients on the mental health unit where I work looked me up and down and said; "Well, I guess it's a popular misconception that all fat people are jolly." FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 202
You deserved it 4 619

Same thing different taste

Top comments

haliacc 17

Hey, at least you're not the one in the mental institution.

He's the one in the mental institution. Just ignore his derogatory comment.

Comments

I dunno, might have been an off day for OP, but yeah, kinda mean on the part of the patient.

Don't worry, at least if you're fat and you want to slim down you can always hit the treadmills at the gym or just go running outside, if you're mentally ill then you're stuck like that for the remainder of your life. The joke is on the patient OP.

Really ???? They're stuck with it for life. That's ruder then the original statement far more insensitive.

cryssycakesx3 22

wow, yeah, glad mental illness is a joke to you. cool.

cjwayy 22

That's really offensive. I have a mental illness and I've been hospitalized because of it. I'm not "stuck".

I do not mean any offense to anyone with any mental illness. My comment is ONLY directed towards OP's rude patient who insulted OP for being fat. I don't know about you, but I am not nice to people who are not nice. If you want to feel offended by my comment, then that is your problem not mine.

Yes 48 (and your comment in 18) because what you said isn't a complete asshole statement! "I just meant the patient, even though my statement said mentally ill in general!" You are right, we have to live with it every single day. It sucks, A LOT!!! But close minded people like you make it worse.

I think they were referring to Santa Claus. :P

This is why food is better than most people. Food won't judge or fight with you. Food understands

Food just sits there silently. Judging you on how many of those fries you shove down your face.

He/she's in a mental health unit, you might wanna listen to an opinion of someone who is mentally stable.

Haha I love how you said the mental health unit was that significant ? I mean it could have been anywhere !! I'm curious what you said or did or your general attitude while at work .. That is truly insensitive and uncalled for either way sorry !!

I was wondering that myself. I don't understand why people are down voting you.

oh screw off 25, stop being so sensitive, the op included the actual scene of the scenario, they in no way did anything wrong.

I think more so that people seem to blame his mental health ... And that it seems more important then they actual statement ... I think that !!!! People here are extremely rude ... So FYL I have panic disorder it is a mental issue I have been hospitalized from it and it no way made me judge people or call them fat ... In fact made me more humble and sensitive to others around me. I don't care if ppl need to vote me down .. Lol this really is ridiculous ..

56 - none of what you say is really that relavent to this situation to be honest...

It is relevant ... Because people are commenting ... Not to listen to someone in a mental health unit because they're unstable ... Or they have to live with having mental Health issues and shedding a negative light and further stigmatizing ppl with mental health issues. Read the comments before blasting off. Thanks !

I agree ppl are using such derogatory and stereotyping and cruel comments in regards to ppl with mental health issues ! Stop being such asses.

Whyyyyyy does everyone say oh he's in a mental health until don't listen to their opinion like 1-10 are unstable and posting on here ???Such stigmatism doesn't mean they don't have an opinion ? Maybe she is a major B Seriously though

im just speaking for the other people here: theyre saying dont listen to their opinion cause it was RUDE and uncalled for, something the average nice person would keep to themselves. its not nessasarily the case, but a mentally unstable or ill person CAN be more likly to blurt something out depending on the type of illness, its reasonable to be encouraging op by saying "dont worry theyre just ill" then so say "theyre right your fat and people should tell you". i dont, however, agree with the people on here bashing the mentally ill, that is not right.

Speaking from personal experience from my job working with disabled/mentally unstable individuals, it's actually true that you shouldn't take offense to anything they say. They say things to manipulate you or to get a reaction from you and if you allow yourself to be affected then it will make your job a thousand times harder than it should be. Just laugh it off and move on. I can't even tell you how many times a day even one person will go back and forth between "I love you" and "get the **** out of here you ******* ****."

I agree but anybody can be like that ... And you don't need to further stigmatize ppl with mental health issues. Just because she happened to be working in a mental health unit. Perhaps they had anxiety there's a million reasons why someone could end up there ...speaking from my professional opinion as someone with mental health issues that works with ppl with mental health issues.

yes anyone could be like that, doesnt change the fact that its a rude comment that should be ignored!

You mad ?? Lol. It's not rude. You're just ignorant and not mindful of what ppl say because you and the rest of the ppl commenting here are desensitized and oblivious to what you're actually saying. Again thanks for your opinion !