By thenegatives - 09/10/2014 01:12 - United States - Mckeesport

Today, my son was smart enough to hack the school's computers to change his midterm, but isn't smart enough to actually keep his grades up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 699
You deserved it 4 331

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You might want to look into private school or advanced placement classes, or something along those lines. I'm sure this sounds presumptuous, and I'm sorry for that in advance, but it sounds like his current school situation isn't challenging him enough.

NiceGuysDoWin 21

I tend to agree with #1 on this one. I've known a lot of genius kids in my life. Most of them got horrible grades despite being smarter than anyone around them. A gifted program may be helpful in challenging your child and motivating them to do better.

Comments

If he has that kind of tech skill, grades are pointless. I know, I'm a programmer.

He's right, you know OP (I'm a programmer as well). Grades only show effort and most schools are over-glorified daycare centers. You should be proud your son has that much finesse and try to guide him to doing something useful with it. I think this isn't a matter of him not being 'bright,' but rather an issue of him being too 'bright.' School probably bores him. Perhaps you should consider getting him enrolled in something more tech-focused and challenging.

sounds like your son may be bored. maybe advanced programming classes will get him interested.

Use his hacking skills. I'm not saying to have him do criminal deeds, but there are places you can go where you can teach him to become an expert hacker. The government is ALWAYS looking for the best and brightest of the computer geniuses, and it would be a great job opportunity down the road if he enjoys that sort of thing. Plus it make allow him to understand how to focus those tendencies.

yup, so totally agree... i wish we had in high school back when i was in it... the technology there is now. only comps we had were 1 mac.. computers were new to us then. i had my commodore all brand new at home.. i love tech :) Encourage his tech skills and for others classes talk to teachers and have him change classes to something more that entices him. He needs a challenge is what that maneuver says. the hack was a challenge to see if he could do it. Have regular classes that challenge him and grades should come up.

Chiroptera_Man 10

I'm really wondering if OP means "hack" as if he found a password... Or actually hacking. That makes a difference.

Most homework is busy work it's sad really.

CaroAurelia 12

I agree with a lot of people above. Hell, Albert Einstein did poorly in school. A lot of really smart kids don't do well in school because the work isn't challenging them. Or he could have a learning disability. Also, some people aren't necessarily book smart but are geniuses in other ways. He could be a tech whiz.

knoxxx 22

Most evidence actually suggests Albert Einstein excelled immediately in school, he had written his first piece of scientific literature at the age of 15. But it's a pretty popular misconception.

You have a pretty narrow idea of "smart."

he's plenty smart, he's just lazy. I should know, I've done the same thing before.