By FATS DOMINO - 20/10/2011 15:39 - United States

Today, my sister finally broke down and told me that our dad gambled away of all my college savings, and I would have to pay for school the best way I can. They have known for months, and when I asked why nobody told me, the reply was, "You're a college boy, we thought you would figure it out." FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 603
You deserved it 2 448

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

wazdog 4
That0therguy 4

Better bring your dad. He's experienced!

Doesn't mean he is good at it apparently...

The_Troller 14

If OP's savings were large enough that, once gone, he would have an emergency like this, I would think that his dad is pretty bad at gambling for managing to lose that much.

Separate accounts, man! Annoying on tax returns and trying to get loans but better than having to deal with parents and money issues.

that sucks.. hope you win a lottery or something..

Why do you expect your Dad to pay for it? Man up and be an adult.

hamncheeseinit 6

It was probably the money that he has been saving since he was a kid

17 - I'll laugh when that 100k college tuition bitchslaps you without parental aid.

What's the best way you can pay for it?

Most people have to pay for college on their own; I know I do. I'm not saying that as a way to justify what your dad did, but it's not the end of the world. Just apply for scholarships/financial aid, get a job, and live at home so you don't have to pay rent. You'll manage.

the point is more that he wasn't told about it. scholarship application deadlines might be over now, and even things like getting s job, saving takes time to do rather than being sprung on last minute. if he had known from the start he could have applied for scholarships but it's too late now.

ergo_fml 13

Um, ******* pay for it yourself, mooch. It's called getting a job. I go to a private school that my parents don't pay for but I do with two jobs. If you want something bad enough you'll work it out. It's not their job to pay for it. It's nice when parents do but you're an adult.

The problem isn't that he had to pay, it's that they didn't tell him until months later. How's he supposed to save up/get a loan when he's out of time?

g_ayvel 11

Really? You got that he's a moosh off that

TalkinSmack 6
amayasoma 19

22- Wow, you're seriously am idiot. How would you feel if all your money was taken away and wasn't told that it was taken? I'm pretty sure OP would have saved on his on a long ass time ago if his family had TOLD him about his dad's bullshit. He's not mooching. Big difference.

Wtf Is your problem? When I was born my parents started this thing called a college savings. And so little by little it grew so when I went to college, pretty much everything was paid for. I plan on doing the same thing. It's not being a mooch. It's being a good and kind parent. And it doesn't matter if it was op's money or his parents if it was meant for college they shouldn't have touched it.

22- Seeing as you decided to jump the gun and assume OP is a mooch, I've decided to assume you're a complete bitch. Have an awlful day.

K_kanaka 26

OK 22 I have three things to say to you SO READ IT! 1) OP was is not mooching off his parents it's called COLLEGE SAVINGS you know money saved for a long time so to pay for OP's college expenses 2) I'll put this in nice big letters so you can read it OP'S FATHER GAMBLED HIS COLLEGE SAVINGS AWAY! SO WHY IN ******* HELL ARE YOU BITCHING AT OP FOR SOMETHING HE COULDN'T HAVE POSSIBLY CONTROLLED 3) FOR JUMPING THE GUN AND ASSUMING OP IS A MOOCH EVERYONE HERE IS GOING TO ASSUME YOUR A BITCH WHICH I HAVE A FEELING YOU AREN'T AND YOU WERE JUST BEING VOCAL OF YOU OPINION. JUST NEXT TIME READ THE FML PROPERLY TO BE SURE OP ACTUALLY DESERVES TO GET BITCHED AT.

I don't think any of my friends put/are putting themselves through college on their own. It's honestly pretty normal for parents to help out; graduating high school doesn't immediately transform one into a fully independent and responsible adult. I would be physically and psychologically incapable of going to college and having a job simultaneously. Is it wrong for my parents to put me through because they want me to get a college education? They are by no means rich, by the way, but with financial aid they're managing.

Actually, I know way too many people that are getting a lot of help from their parents for school, or just paying for it out right.. I feel like the minority. 22 I sure hope for your own dumb ass ******* sake you aren't going to your fancy private school for some liberal arts degree, because they you are going to be stuck with 2x times the loans and NO JOB, EVER!

jsteury 0

Why did your sister have to tell you your dad ain't man enough to

#17 is right. My dad never even offered to pay for my college.

Well theres this one thing known as male prostitution. I once had to dress up as willy wonks.