By WeighYourWords - 03/05/2016 11:12 - Belgium - Overheid

Today, my overweight colleague twisted his ankle. He's pretty self-conscious about his weight, but I had a brain-fart and told him he shouldn't try to put too much weight on it. His feelings are more hurt than his ankle now. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 394
You deserved it 1 930

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's a typical thing to say about an injury. He should know that, and it shouldn't affect your ability to speak normally.

Don't worry if he complains about you to human resources, he doesn't have a leg to stand on

Comments

Tell him you meant nothing by it, just trying to help. If he doesn't believe just move on, nothing you can do about it now OP

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

OP shouldn't have to give him chocolates because they didn't do anything wrong. They gave simple advice and cant help it if it offends him in a way OP didn't mean too.

Look at what offended him, I think the chocolates might be even more offensive to this poor guy's self esteem.

Don't worry if he complains about you to human resources, he doesn't have a leg to stand on

That's a typical thing to say about an injury. He should know that, and it shouldn't affect your ability to speak normally.

dragoongirl90 34

Exactly what I was going to say.

Yeah, that's not discriminatory at all. It's just sound advice. If he takes issue with it, that's him overreacting.

I kind have wish it was intentional. That would be a good burn if you two were close enough to make fun of each other.

Alup132 22

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer!

Oh please. He's being a little too sensitive over common advice. He needs to go see a doctor about losing weight if he's that worried about it.

That's normal to tell someone not to put too much weight on their foot. I hope they feel better and I hope your working relationship isn't ruined.

loctran 4

He needs to man up and quit being a sensitive baby.

nicole1765 14

It doesnt matter what age or gender you are, we all have insecurities. Some more than others.

Most people who are overweight knows they are. Only thing is, sometimes they need help to get started and don't really know where to begin or too afraid to ask. I've seen big people out running and they may not be running fast but I applaud them for being outside trying. I would never make fun of someone who's at the gym or running outside because they're taking the first step of becoming a better person.

I wish the world had more people like you. Thank you for the smile on a crappy day.

kingdomgirl94 29

My only problem with this is that it sounds like those are the only conditions in which you wouldn't make fun of a fat person. Regardless of what they're doing, you shouldn't make fun of anyone. Their weight is none of your business.

I guess you just couldn't sugarcoat it.